Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Air conditioner tripping breaker

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
williamnugent
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: '96 Aft Cabin 35'

Air conditioner tripping breaker

Postby williamnugent » October 8th, 2016, 9:57 am

This is my first season on a '96 355 AC and have had issues with the AC. Most recently, the air conditioning unit in the aft birth keeps tripping the breaker on the panel when in the hearing mode. I've tried to find filters to clean, but can't find any. Accessing the back of the unit (where I believe the grill is) is impossible (facing the port hull). Am I missing something?
Thanks...
Bill Nugenr

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: Air conditioner tripping breaker

Postby mjk1040 » October 8th, 2016, 11:59 am

Bill, I think u mean heating mode, if you have the manual on this unit which I be is a 12,000 btu unit, you will find there is or was a thin foam filter stuck to the front of the condenser. The one to our forward unit was deteriorating, so I threw it away. since as you said its very hard to get at. Now I can put the vacuum hose in the front of the unit and use a blow gun to clean out the condenser coil. Back to ur issue of tripping the breaker, in the manual I believe if I understood it correctly has 2 heating modes. One is just using the heat from the water going thru the condenser cooler and the other is a electric heating element. You can program the unit either way. It's possible the heating element is getting bad and drawing to much electric in the heating mode. Don't know if this element can be replaced or not? Try, if u can, reprograming the heat mode to heat with the water only and not the element. If the AC parts works fine and its just the heat part giving u trouble, I'd run it till it died and then replace the whole unit. If you need more heat than just the water will supply, may I suggest a 1500 watt ceramic heater to supplement your heat needs till you have to replace the entire unit. Mike
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » October 8th, 2016, 3:09 pm

+1

Another item often overlooked is the actual breaker itself. Overtime these can become "weak". I had the identical problem on my Silverton and after much diagnosis, I replaced the breaker with an identical NEW breaker of the same size. Problem instantly solved.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 8th, 2016, 10:52 pm

Bill, does this happen only in heat mode and only with this particular unit? Does it happen even if it's just that unit working and the others are off? If so, it could be as weak breaker as Lyndon noted. Also check to ensure the plugs at both ends of the shore power cord don't show any signs of overheating at the contacts. Check the boat's inlet plug also. Other possibilities are a board issue, a bad reverse valve, or a short in one of the wires on the unit or controller box.

williamnugent
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby williamnugent » October 9th, 2016, 7:15 am

Thanks everyone for these excellent suggestions. I checked and found that the AC unit in question was already set to reverse flow only, though I went ahead and reset the unit to factory defaults anyway...
Still through the breaker in heating mode.
So far, the only electrical issue plaguing me is with this unit, though I'll check the lines coming into the boat. (I suppose I could try running it off the generator and see what happens).
I had it running on cooling mode for a while last night and it seemed to work.
Arrgh...

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » October 9th, 2016, 7:34 am

williamnugent wrote:Source of the post....I checked and found that the AC unit in question was already set to reverse flow only, though I went ahead and reset the unit to factory defaults anyway....

The reversing valve failure would be the valve assembly itself, not a setting. This is an electrically operated valve in the refrigerant circuit/system that redirects the refrigerant depending on whether you want the unit to heat the room or cool it down. If the valve is stuck in the cooling position, the solenoid could be tripping the breaker in an attempt to move the stuck valve, or it could have a dead short that trips the breaker upon activation. The other possibilities mentioned above that would control that circuit also apply.

When you have it working on "cool", how long does it take to trip the breaker after you switch it to "heat"?

williamnugent
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby williamnugent » October 9th, 2016, 8:01 am

When I switch to heat mode, either directly from off or from cooling mode, it will heat for about 5 minutes then trip the breaker.
When it is heating, it does produce warm air.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » October 9th, 2016, 8:46 am

Just to be clear, you can run on cool mode all day without tripping the breaker? What is the make and model?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » October 9th, 2016, 9:01 am

To eliminate the breaker as a possible cause, if you're comfortable working with electricity, unplug the shore power cord, open the electrical panel, and swap the wire on that breaker with one from another AC unit breaker and try to duplicate the fault. If the same unit works fine after that, replace the breaker. Keep in mind you'll have to switch on a different breaker this time to test it. If you swapped the wire with the mid AC breaker, that's the breaker you'll have to turn on to test. After testing, return the wires to their original breakers.

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » October 13th, 2016, 8:44 pm

Beat me to the punch Viper!
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE