Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forward shower sump in 405 my

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
dsolo
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders
Name: La Belle ll

Re: Forward shower sump in 405 my

Postby dsolo » February 27th, 2017, 11:53 pm

Viper I here you. I had a great tech/mechanic for years. The man spent his time between Florida in the winter months and northern Michigan in the summer. Knowledgeable, skillful, knew how he was dealing with, and had great communications skills. He is in Florida full time now.

He knew the boat was 160 miles away from him once it left him at spring launch. I lived in Gaylord, Michigan and had a summer home in Bruce Mines, Ontario. The western tip on the North Channel, Lake Huron.

He would give suggestions on proactive maintenance. He talked age of equipment, how things looked, sounded, and what normally failed on this particular model. If he said the bellows looked like they are starting to crack which is typical for them being XX years old, I would change them. If he recommended rebuilding the Rochester carb based on the hours and their problem with fuel pump baffles, we rebuild it.

Bottom line, I put 1700 hours on the boat and never broke down.

Today I found a dirty shop rag under one of the engine's troddle body covers. Must have been left by a mechanic during winter prep? Had I not been crawling all over the boat to learn her, it would not have been found. I was inspecting the secondary fuel filters they failed to change and found the rag. Not sure what it would have done?? But a rag with oil on it isn't a good thing on a hot engine.
I miss my prior mechanic! This forum gives some of what I lost.
dsolo
Vessel "LaBelle"
Portage Point Inn & Marina, Onekema, Mi
1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 28th, 2017, 7:29 am

At least everyone here is making an effort to learn from the experience of others. That makes for an educated boater/customer. There are two schools of thought with techs; those that see the benefits of educating boaters, and those that prefer not telling the customer anything for fear of the customer fixing it himself. You'll always have however, boaters that will endeavor to do everything themselves, and those that won't lift a finger. You won't get much out of the average DYIer but maintaining a good relationship will eventually pay off, it's just a matter of time. For the rest, the more you educate them, the more understanding they have of what should be done, they won't get you to fix what they don't know.

The loss of a good tech is becoming a common occurrence. Unfortunately they are few and far between. If you find a good tech, hang on tight to him. Whether you're a DYIer or not, you should maintain a relationship with him, you never know when you'll need him, and he'll likely go the extra mile for someone who smiles, says hi, and doesn't think of him as an insignificant trade. You can bet I'm not going to jump or share much with someone who says, "Ya but my car mechanic says..." :censored:

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » March 1st, 2017, 5:37 pm

So True Viper, So True! People in the trades are few and far between these days. And finding a tradesman that cares and takes pride in their profession are a rare breed these days. Mike
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”