Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Leak in Presssurized fresh water System

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
nashvillekat
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 36 1990 Aft Cabin Model Gas Engines

Leak in Presssurized fresh water System

Postby nashvillekat » April 21st, 2017, 8:10 pm

This is the latest. HAVE 1990 carver aft cabin model.
The water pump comes on every 3 to 5 minutes and stays on for several seconds.
The water tank was observed decreasing 1 inch every 4 to 5 hours.

The water leak is NOT in the aft part of boat like I previously thought but shows up in the forward bilge compartment (hereafter FBC).
Removed kitchen stairs and hatch to FBC.
Forward bilge pump comes on to drain several inches of water out of FBC. Not sure how often but within a day or two.

With hand pump, extracted all water out of FBC.
NO LEAKS coming thru side holes of FBC or from compartment shower and forward bathroom sink drain into.
Unscrewed plate that the forward bilge pump sits on.
Exposed hole leading into another compartment directly behind the forward bilge pump.
Observed small amount of water leaking CONTINUOUSLY thru this hole into FBC.

Undid seating around kitchen table ... no leaks anywhere.
ICE maker not connected.
No leaks in faucet fittings under kitchen sink or bathroom sink.
HELP !
Thanks for all the great replies to this post.
update dec 12
have grey pipe to kitchen cold water faucet. Will replace per suggestion it may be cracked SOMEWHERE in it's travels to the aft water pressure pump connection. QUESTIONS. What is the best routing for the new pipe ???
Last edited by nashvillekat on December 12th, 2017, 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Re: Leak in Presssurized fresh water System

Postby Lyndon670 » April 21st, 2017, 8:47 pm

If the rise is observed when the air conditioner is running - yes, check the unit. Check to see if there is water in the tray No sure about yours because of the vintage, but later models drain into the sump. What about your shaft stuffing? It will be the old rope type and is supposed to drip - might need replaced.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 21st, 2017, 8:52 pm

If you have your AC running, it could be condensate. Try to follow the line from the drip tray on bottom of AC and and see if it's going into a shower sump box. You could also pour dyed water in the tray and see if it shows up in the bilge. Another possibility is a leaking sump box. Shaft or rudder packing?

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » April 21st, 2017, 10:02 pm

You would need one really high capacity a/c unit to produce that much condensate. You don't have one that big, so I would look at the a/c raw water piping. A quick check would be to just turn off the a/c. if the water is still rising look elsewhere.
Shut off all dock water and your fresh water pump. If the water continues to rise keep going.....
Maybe a through hull fitting, shaft or rudder packing, leak at freshwater tank outlet.....
Hopefully nothing that requires you to pull out for repair.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 21st, 2017, 10:41 pm

If you leave your fresh water pump on and you have a fresh water leak, the pump will cycle on periodically even if you don't open a faucet but make sure your dockside water is shut off. If you here the pump cycle, it's a fresh water system leak. I don't remember if the '90 36' aft cabin has the hot water heater under the aft bed but I'm pretty sure earlier years did. Check it too.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 22nd, 2017, 11:01 am

Am I getting confused, or didn't this start out with the OP saying the water pump was cycling and the potable water tank was losing a couple inches of water in few hours?? That means is has nothing to do with the air conditioning or condensate.

Where is your water tank and potable water pump? Is the hot water heater back there? Do you have a washdown shower on the stern?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 22nd, 2017, 12:59 pm

nashvillekat wrote:Source of the post Have isolated leak in aft part of boat. (1990 carver aft cabin model). Water rises in the aft bilge area about an inch every 4 to 5 hours. Have checked Ice box, kitchen faucets, bathroom faucets, shower faucets and toilet water hose. NO LEAKS FOUND. Any other ideas. Air conditioner ???

I am confused. In the other thread you said "Turned off aft bilge pump and no water rise after 54 hours of losing 1" in both tanks. ."

What changed?

Topic author United States of America
nashvillekat
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 36 1990 Aft Cabin Model Gas Engines

Postby nashvillekat » November 22nd, 2017, 1:09 pm

OK... 2 years have had the leak in my fresh water pressure system and it is driving me CRAZY.
However am now zeroing in on the leak.
facts:
pressure pump in aft compartment comes on about every 5 minutes for 15 seconds.
observed aft fresh water tank decreasing 1 inch every 3 or 4 hours.
observed water leaking into FORWARD bilge compartment
unscrewed the plate holding the forward bilge pump and revealed hole behind the pump.
OBSERVED LEAK COMING THRU THE HOLE BEHIND THE FORWARD BILGE PUMP.
The engine compartment is dry to the left and right of the engine
Unscrewed compartment behind kitchen steps.
This revealed a closed compartment and DID NOT REVEAL any plumbing.
Am considering sawing the bottom of this compartment and hope to see the plumbing underneath.
HELP HELP HELP
NashvilleKat
Last edited by nashvillekat on November 22nd, 2017, 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 22nd, 2017, 2:24 pm

WHOA! Don't saw ANYTHING until you narrow down the leak!!

I'm not sure what differences they made between the 1983 model (mine) and the 1990 model (yours), but on mine the lines run from the under the berth in the aft stateroom, to the stbd side "exhaust tunnel" (under the stbd cabinetry), then TEE off near the base of the steps. One side proceeds up the stbd side to the galley and fwd head sink, the other side of the TEE crosses the engine room along the aft bulkhead, services the tub faucet, proceeds to the port side and TEEs again. One side of that TEE goes back to service the aft head sink, the other side continues up the PORT side and services the fwd shower.

You can get to or see ALL of the connections through removable hatchs. They are somewhat difficult to work on though because of the tight access... but what isn't on a boat!!

I'm wondering if all your potable water lines are grey. If so, that material was recalled many years ago due to failures. Mine would fail every couple years with another small leak. I finally changed it all over to PEX and have not had a leak since. If you have the grey stuff, I would recommend doing the same! I would get pinhole leaks or small cracks in the fittings or near the joints on the grey stuff. One was SOOOO small athat I could NOT see the leak itself, only the wetted spot on the bulkhead about a foot away. Took some time to find that even when I was looking right at the leak!

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 22nd, 2017, 2:30 pm

Need some clarifications:

What is the "Aft bilge pipe"?? Do you mean aft bilge pump? I don't have a bilge pump in the aft bilge (probably should) but do have a shower sump there, located just forward of the berth. I do not have to unscrew anything to see it, just lift a hatch.

Then, you mention "Unscrewed compartment behind kitchen steps. ". My galley is located forward of the engines. Is yours near the aft cabin?

Some pictures might help.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”