Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Leak in Presssurized fresh water System

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
nashvillekat
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 36 1990 Aft Cabin Model Gas Engines

Re: Leak in Presssurized fresh water System

Postby nashvillekat » December 8th, 2017, 4:20 pm

yes.. this corresponds to my boat.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » December 8th, 2017, 4:44 pm

This may seem simplistic, but to me after reading all this it seems you may have found the general area of your leak.....if there are water lines in the space where you saw the water coming from you are going to have to look in there, very bright light and one of those borescope cameras could help....may be a line has chafed against a bulkhead etc.......good luck man

On a lighter note , your forum name reminds me of an old Lovin Spoonful/ John Sebastian tune........ :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

nashvillekat
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby nashvillekat » December 8th, 2017, 10:46 pm

camera idea may work. thx. the hole is about 1/2 inch so shining a light will not help much. 8-)

Great Britain
Daveb500Uk
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3207 Aft Cabin Double Flying Bridge.
Twin Volvo Penta

Postby Daveb500Uk » February 13th, 2018, 6:44 am

I also had a leak in my carver aft cabin. the bilges in the engine compartment would always have water in them. After pumping dry, and leaving over night, again would fill with water. when tested this was found to be clean water, and not from engines, or from the river. All the through holes were dry and no signs of leaks. There were no leaks from either of the fresh tanks. Eventually this was traced to the pressure relief valve on the hot water tank. To test I put the discharge pipe into a container which was higher than the bilge water level. If that filled then I knew where it was coming from. Next day it was full and overflowing. Testing it I found it released a almost no pressure. An easy fix, now looking forward to a dry bilge.
Your only here once

Great Britain
Daveb500Uk
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3207 Aft Cabin Double Flying Bridge.
Twin Volvo Penta

Postby Daveb500Uk » April 7th, 2018, 6:11 am

Update, nope didn't fix it. Yes the pressure relief valve had failed, so that was one source. The fittings to the water heater were also loose, so weeped. those were sorted. Now still have a leak, all in the same area. Going to move the battery from the engine side of the heater tank to check under there. I do suspect the Raritan water heater. Reading the spec Raritan make the tank out of steel, not stainless or copper, so it possible over the years it has pin holes in it.
Your only here once

nashvillekat
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby nashvillekat » December 30th, 2020, 6:49 pm

After many years have found my fresh water leak into the front bilge compartment (under kitchen).
Stuck my head into front of engine compartment and heard a slight hissing sound coming from rear of engine compartment.
Leak from T fitting by bulkhead between salon and rear bedroom.
Now plan to fix with a 1/2 inch shark bite fitting.
Any comments pro or con appreciated.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » December 30th, 2020, 7:19 pm

If you have the older Grey Pex Pipe, make sure you get the proper fittings. They are not the same diameter as the newer pipe and a 1/2" shark bite will leak.
John Guest fittings work better than Shark Bites on plastic pipe.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » December 30th, 2020, 7:34 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post If you have the older Grey Pex Pipe, make sure you get the proper fittings. They are not the same diameter as the newer pipe and a 1/2" shark bite will leak.
John Guest fittings work better than Shark Bites on plastic pipe.

Not sure it is the older stuff. I am pretty sure the standard is 15mm and not 1/2” when it comes to boats. Even my relatively newer 2007 Carver has 15mm which buy the way is the same as the older grey stuff. Hopefully Viper will chime in as I am sure he has seen most of what’s out there. Bottom line is you do need to put a caliper on the lines or there may be markings showing what size you have not to mention what kind of Frankenstein stuff previous owners have done to their boats. To confuse things even more, the newer red and blue lines are available in 1/2” and 15mm so color does not determine size used.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » December 30th, 2020, 9:09 pm

nashvillekat wrote:Source of the post After many years have found my fresh water leak into the front bilge compartment (under kitchen).
Stuck my head into front of engine compartment and heard a slight hissing sound coming from rear of engine compartment.
Leak from T fitting by bulkhead between salon and rear bedroom.
Now plan to fix with a 1/2 inch shark bite fitting.
Any comments pro or con appreciated.

I had an 83 version of that boat, and had a leak in the same spot. Those two "T" fittings are in a tight spot!! That was with the older grey lines and was the third or fourth year in a row that I had to find or fix a leak, so I ripped out the old grey stuff and replaced it all with PEX and all the years after I felt GREAT knowing I had new lines all over. It's not really that big of a job to do!!

Liechtenstein
chpsk8
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver Aft Cabin Motor Yacht... Hull #001

Postby chpsk8 » December 31st, 2020, 10:53 am

Make sure you measure with a caliper. I was also told mine would be 15mm and bought a bunch of fittings and pipe online and it turned out i have 1/2” gray pipe. Watts fittings from the hardware store fit perfectly.

Also thanks for the circle back so people can learn from your experience. Always good to hear about solutions. I’m chasing a two year water leak and may have found it during winterizing. Excited to see if I really found it in the spring.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”