Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

310 Santego A/C installation

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author
Oppy1
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 310 Santego

310 Santego A/C installation

Postby Oppy1 » April 25th, 2017, 8:33 pm

I have a 1994 310 Santego that I would like to have air conditioning installed in. I'm having a hard time finding a unit that will fit under the forward berth panel beneath the mattress. If anyone has this model boat and has a picture of where the A/C is mounted and what brand was used I would appreciate it. The pan that sits under the panel in the berth is only 13" high at the max. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: 310 Santego A/C installation

Postby g36 » April 25th, 2017, 10:37 pm

I dont have your boat but I hAve used 3 of their ac unit's from mermaid on my boats. They show a 9000 btu unit that mentions a 30ft boat and its 12" tall. Dont know how big of a unit but you could check out their website and call them they have always been very nice when I have had questions.
https://www.mmair.com/marine-division/m ... ditioning/
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
Ramsport47
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 310 Santego

Postby Ramsport47 » April 26th, 2017, 6:10 am

I have your boat with factory AC. The unit is mounted under the forward berth behind the drawers. There is a liftout panel under the mattress for access. The AC water pump is mounted under the aft dinette seat and thermostat is on the closte wall in the stateroom. Our unit is a Marine Air 16,000BTU air/heat. Untortunately no pictures, but it's pretty easy access once you take the mattress out of the cabin.
Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag MPI (300hp)
Port: Cedar Point Marina, Sandusky, Ohio

Topic author
Oppy1
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 310 Santego

Postby Oppy1 » June 4th, 2017, 9:42 pm

I settled on a Dometic Marine Air Unit 16k BTU. Haven't got it completely finished yet but I did end up mounting the thru-hull, strainer, and water pump in the rear bilge ahead of the starboard engine. Everything seems pretty easy to do except run the ducting from the unit to the supply grills. That is going to take some time and patience. Thanks for the help.

United States of America
Donald Claypoole
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver Santego 310
Twin 5.0 liter Merc/Alpha I/O
37x hours, fourth owner, purchased October 2016

Postby Donald Claypoole » June 8th, 2017, 3:18 pm

I have your boat and mine's an OEM time machine, 1994 310. I'm finding, unless it's tired and I'm just "new", the Marine Air isn't all that reliable. I have to set it pretty low to keep the A/C on. Otherwise it kicks to fan on Auto. I'm thinking the stat is off by 4 or 5 degrees. But, I'm a newbie and learning as I go also. FWIW the air duct is partially crushed by the berth hatch cover. Not sure if it was designed that way but doesn't look like I can re-route it either. Let me know how the Dometic works out!

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » June 8th, 2017, 7:05 pm

Don, make sure ur unit has good air flow around the condenser, u may want to vac or blow it out too, u may seen an improvement in performance.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
Donald Claypoole
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver Santego 310
Twin 5.0 liter Merc/Alpha I/O
37x hours, fourth owner, purchased October 2016

Postby Donald Claypoole » June 9th, 2017, 2:11 pm

Thanks Mike, I will do that!

United States of America
CptBacardi
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 38 Santego (not an aft cabin)

Postby CptBacardi » June 15th, 2017, 9:13 am

I had limited space on my 38 Santego under the staircase and the only unit I could find that would fit is a Mermaid. I'm happy with the unit and Mermaid has great reviews and warranty.
1989 Carver 38 Santego

Canada
Karen Powell
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 model Carver 396 Motor Yacht

Postby Karen Powell » August 29th, 2017, 1:39 am

Air conditioning in a cruiser class boat is a very good option, as this will tends to retain its resale value over the lifetime. If you install it yourself, you can save up to half the cost of a factory-installed unit. My boyfriend had a 2001 model Carver 396 Motor Yacht when we were in Toronto and he installed Mermaid M6-CEH-U for it. Quite frankly, this model impressed us. This manufacturer intends their unit to be installed by the 'DIY-er'. This is mainly because their target customer is the individual boat owner and the marina installer. Their customer care team is very reliable and can answer all your doubts regarding the installation. Unfortunately, we had to sell our boat due to some economic crisis that fell on our path this year. I don't know about any air conditioner installation company which can help you out. It will be good if you consider the above option.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”