Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Water in forward and mid bilge

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Re: Water in forward and mid bilge

Postby Lyndon670 » May 3rd, 2017, 11:39 pm

must qualify - not my current marina!
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » May 3rd, 2017, 11:43 pm

As Viper says safety first!!! Your wife may have a difficult time selling the boat with the impression of your dead body in the hull.
Also, hopefully the travel lift is a bit busy this time of year, and cannot remain stationary for the time it takes to properly cure the sealant. I believe 24hrs for 5200?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 3rd, 2017, 11:51 pm

Lyndon670 wrote:Source of the post People up here don't comply obviously - I have watched them change my prop while sitting in a sling....

Wow, such a no no. And for what, 5 minutes to do it right. If they keep temporary block assemblies and a couple of jack stands at the lift basin all the time, it's a matter of a few minutes to do as the slings never come off. Heck, even if no one gets hurt when a sling fails, it's not something I'd want to put my boat through. If that wasn't the end of it's life, it'd probably be the end of most of my boating season.

I know it goes on all the time and frankly I'm surprised marina owners allow it. If there's ever a death, everyone is going to jail!!

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » May 4th, 2017, 12:06 am

Viper, I don't know how it works in Canada, but in the US it makes no sense. A mobile crane service MUST have all slings inspected and certified annually. The crane operator must inspect and sign off on all equipment before every shift. They are responsible to take a sling out of service if any fray is found. If not, he or she could be liable for any property damage or injury. But a travel lift at a marina is not subject to yearly inspections, or OSHA inspections. Three years ago a yard employee at a neighboring low budget marina lost part of his arm when a travel lift tire blew next to the control station. No damage to the boat. No one in jail, and as far as I know no law suit. The marina owner then purchased a new USED tire for the lift.
Go figure?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » May 4th, 2017, 7:25 am

So are you saying that just because the slings are inspected by the operator that it's okay to work on the boat without it being supported? Because that is not the case just like he's not supposed to walk away from the machine with the boat up in the air. There's a reason for it.

Same in Canada for sling inspection. Marinas up here have recently been the target of ministry safety inspectors due to some serious accidents. They'll pop in unannounced, and you better be in compliance or they'll issue fines or shut you down depending on the seriousness of the safety breach or lack of documentation. They also want to see annual safety inspection certificates for all equipment, even an engine hoist! If there's an equipment failure resulting in a reported injury, you best be sure the ministry investigator will look for safety certification records.

My last re-training session was put on by a trainer from the States. He is also called upon regularly to perform accident investigations on high profile incidents such as deaths. As such, he spends a lot of time in the courtroom. Boy did he have some good stories/examples of cases that involved prison time. Don't forget that operators and the heads of businesses are being held more personally accountable now than ever before for safety ignorance when it comes to serious accidents.

All that aside though, there's no way I'd trust being under that much weight being supported solely with a set of slings, even if they're new, they're not the only thing preventing the boat from falling on you (blown tire). It's just not worth it to me. I keep referring to "The Perfect Storm." One day, when it's least expected, all the necessary conditions will come together and cause a failure that will result in an unwanted outcome even if you've taken all precautions. The best we can do is make an effort to make it as safe as possible for when the perfect storm arrives. If you do it right, and something fails with the boat temporarily blocked as I noted above, the guy working on the boat will at least have a chance.

Sorry, don't want to hijack the thread.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » May 4th, 2017, 8:11 am

No, I am not saying it ok to be under a boat on the sling. Quite the opposite.
I was pointing out that it seems at many marinas safety is just an afterthought.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » May 4th, 2017, 5:58 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post No, I am not saying it ok to be under a boat on the sling. Quite the opposite.
I was pointing out that it seems at many marinas safety is just an afterthought.

True that.

Topic author United States of America
dsolo
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders
Name: La Belle ll

Postby dsolo » May 5th, 2017, 6:17 am

I have been told the marina will pull boat at end of day. Leave it in the sling and repair leak by removing fasteners and cleaning old sealant from flange and hull. They plan on applying 3M 4200 and reinstalling fasteners. Boat will be relaunched following day. I assume first thing following day. I can't imagine them leaving boat suspended overnight?? Now that I have read what is here, I will ask about proper supports. Thanks
dsolo
Vessel "LaBelle"
Portage Point Inn & Marina, Onekema, Mi
1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » May 5th, 2017, 6:56 am

They'll set her down. I can't imagine anyone leaving a boat unattended all night long while suspended in the air, but you can't assume anything anymore.

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » May 5th, 2017, 6:17 pm

I can tell you Viper, that it is done all the time up here. I have been boating from Port Credit through to Simcoe to Gbay and have seen it done in every marina, as well as repairs being completed in the sling. Hence my previous post - not saying its the "safe" or "correct" thing to do - but that it is being done.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”