Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Waste tank monitor

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
jcoll
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998 355 Motor yacht

Waste tank monitor

Postby jcoll » June 7th, 2017, 8:21 pm

The past 3 years both front and rear holding tank monitors worked as designed. This year both are malfunctioning. The front unit lights green when empty, goes to amber and won't go beyond to red when full. This leads to an embarrasing situation on the dock if someone flushes that "one too many flush". The rear unit lights green when empty, doesn't light amber, but will light red when full. Seems to me there's a float problem in the front unit and a sensor problem in the rear. I've never had the "pleasure" of servicing these before. Looks like the unit is threaded into the top of the tank and there is lots of sealer (silicone?) around it. I imagine the rear unit could be a bulb or LED problem - not sure what's used. Any input on solutions is appretiated.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Waste tank monitor

Postby tomschauer » June 7th, 2017, 9:52 pm

both my tank monitors work "when they feel like it". Sometimes all three lights work, sometimes none. I haven't yet disassembled them to investigate as this will most likely be a shi%&y job. I have just been making certain I pump out every weekend. Hopefully some has tackled this?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 7th, 2017, 10:15 pm

I am given to understand that a product called no flex digester should take care of sludge buildups in waste tanks, among other things....maybe clean the level mechanism.....I am trying this now , but have not used it long enough to draw a conclusion......
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 7th, 2017, 11:21 pm

Unthread the sender assembly and clean the floats. After that, have someone at the monitor as you're moving the floats while they watch if the proper lights come on. Depending on the unit, you may have two or three floats in the assembly. If you can't get them all to light up, the next step is to determine if it's a sender or lamp failure.

A warning, not just because this is a sh$tty job but because it can be hazardous, use gloves and eye protection. And plug your nose of coarse!

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » June 8th, 2017, 3:31 am

Placing Vicks vapor rub under your nose will help with the smell, and there is some stuff called 0 Oder that will remove cabin after smell.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » June 8th, 2017, 5:53 am

They will go bad after some time normally due to improper maintenance/servicing of the holding tanks themselves. FYI, you can purchase the triple probe replacement assembly however they are not exactly cheap. Here is an example. http://www.dyersonline.com/dometic-pola ... ystem.html
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 8th, 2017, 6:08 am

Forgot to mention, if you remove the the floats off the wands, mark the bottoms first, they are directional and will reverse the reading on the output if they are reversed.

Topic author United States of America
jcoll
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998 355 Motor yacht

Postby jcoll » June 8th, 2017, 7:18 am

Thanks for the input on this guys. Bud37 - I've been using Noflex digester since I got the boat. It's helped to clean up odors and I understand it's suppose to help with the monitor mechanism too. Viper - thanks for the heads up on the floats. Sounds like they're similar to a cars low brake fluid light using a magnet to complete a circuit for the light. For now I'll let the Noflex digester work on it and hope for the best. I might wait until winter when it's really cold and the smell will be less. NOT looking forward to this job!!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 8th, 2017, 8:43 am

jcoll wrote:Source of the post Thanks for the input on this guys. Bud37 - I've been using Noflex digester since I got the boat. It's helped to clean up odors and I understand it's suppose to help with the monitor mechanism too. Viper - thanks for the heads up on the floats. Sounds like they're similar to a cars low brake fluid light using a magnet to complete a circuit for the light. For now I'll let the Noflex digester work on it and hope for the best. I might wait until winter when it's really cold and the smell will be less. NOT looking forward to this job!!

Good stuff.....it will be good to hear the feedback later on as to how the digester works longtime, thanks.....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » June 8th, 2017, 9:36 am

I also use noflex and it works well but I wouldn't count on it for the sensors /floats to work. Just bite the bullet take them out clean them and verify operation and reassemble. I went ahead and wired a multi pin connector so next time I can just unplug the connector and unscrew the cap and sensors easily. Cause you know there's going to be a next time. :captain2:
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”