Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Holding tank

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 aft cabin

Re: Holding tank

Postby cpoint » June 21st, 2017, 9:25 pm

Thanks Mike and Bud. Mike there is water in the bowl.

United States of America
Reelpriority
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 356 Aft Cabin
Miss Judy, Murrells Inlet, SC

Postby Reelpriority » June 21st, 2017, 10:12 pm

Based on your photo, you are not looking at the holding tank. Rather, the tank in your photo is the 70 gallon fresh water tank located under the aft stateroom bed.
The 18 gallon aft holding tank is under the pull up carpet and floor board adjacent to the aft head door. Check the level with a flashlight. I assume you do not have the green, Amber, and red lights located n the head that alerts you to the holding tank fill levels.
MISS JUDY
Murrells Inlet, SC

Topic author United States of America
Roxanne
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver 356

Postby Roxanne » June 22nd, 2017, 6:05 am

About the green, amber level lights. Ours seem to be stuck or more like dirty? After we pump out we get a green. After a day we're at half. That's where it stays. When working on the front tank I was able to pull out and clean off the sensors. The back tank is so tight in that space I can barely reach the cap. I know it's several inches long and because of the space even if I unscrew it I would never be able to pull it up. There might be 2 inchs of space above it. I thought I might unscrew the other tank lid and reach through the tank :-D and see if I can clean off the connectors. When I unscrewed the main lid there is a tough plastic or rubber lining over it. It doesn't seem to be removable. If you are as old as I am you will remember Coke use to Come in a glass bottle. When you popped the metal top off there was a plastic lining in the lid. It reminds me of that only much thicker. Is that something that is lining the tank for a reason? Can I cut it out or try to remove it. The tank is such a tight fit in that compartment I sure don't want to mess it up. I cannot imagine replacing it!!

Roxanne
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Roxanne » June 22nd, 2017, 6:16 am

Another place to look for smells. After all the help finding our tank and filters and cleaning and replacing, I found another breach in the system. The original one was in the tank compartment was leaking from around where the filter connects to the line running to the tank. After fixing everything I noticed that there is leaking coming from the actual vacuum itself. It's not a lot but it has dripped over the base and if you look down at the unit you can see liquid in the round part that is pumping up and down. Billows? I'm trying to YouTube it to see what I need to replace there but anyway if your system checks out and your hoses are not permeated, you might check the vacuum and it's connections.

Canada
nightsky
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: '94 Carver 390 cpmy

Postby nightsky » June 22nd, 2017, 10:11 am

Roxanne wrote:Source of the post About the green, amber level lights. Ours seem to be stuck or more like dirty? After we pump out we get a green. After a day we're at half. That's where it stays. When working on the front tank I was able to pull out and clean off the sensors. The back tank is so tight in that space I can barely reach the cap. I know it's several inches long and because of the space even if I unscrew it I would never be able to pull it up. There might be 2 inchs of space above it. I thought I might unscrew the other tank lid and reach through the tank :-D and see if I can clean off the connectors. When I unscrewed the main lid there is a tough plastic or rubber lining over it. It doesn't seem to be removable. If you are as old as I am you will remember Coke use to Come in a glass bottle. When you popped the metal top off there was a plastic lining in the lid. It reminds me of that only much thicker. Is that something that is lining the tank for a reason? Can I cut it out or try to remove it. The tank is such a tight fit in that compartment I sure don't want to mess it up. I cannot imagine replacing it!!

Roxanne that hard plastic under the main lid will have to be cut away. If you can, cut it as close to the threaded wall to have the largest opening possible. Take care not to damage threads. This should allow just enough room to stick a garden hose nozzle in to spray wash the sludge along the walls.

Roxanne
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Roxanne » June 22nd, 2017, 11:38 am

Yuck. Thanks. I'll do it this weekend.

United States of America
Reelpriority
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 356 Aft Cabin
Miss Judy, Murrells Inlet, SC

Postby Reelpriority » June 22nd, 2017, 9:41 pm

Roxanne: We had the same problem with the holding tank sensors in our 1999 356 Aft Cabin. The fix was to remove the original corroded sensors and replace with new units. There our a number of wires to cut and re-connect to complete the change over. The aft holding tank sensor cannot be accessed unless you remove the carpet at the foot of the bed, then, use a hole saw to cut an access opening above the tank sensor. You can easily reach the fitting and remove the corroded sensor. A plastic circular deck plate can be placed over the access hole. Carpet will cover the plate.
MISS JUDY
Murrells Inlet, SC

Roxanne
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Roxanne » June 22nd, 2017, 9:59 pm

:-O oh my gosh

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » June 23rd, 2017, 12:23 am

You can use one of these for cleaning your tank.

http://www.camco.net/product/tornado-ro ... ser-10049/
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » June 23rd, 2017, 6:43 am

i've installed the one lyndon recommended in the previous post in my RV i think the idea is good but we dont get as a good of results i hoped for. this is what we use now connect a garden hose its easy to direct around in the direction you want and also concentrates the spray so you actually have a good bit of pressure to break up stuff. any rv dealer,amazon or even walmart will have it. and its not a permeant install cutting in the tank either.

https://accessories.lazydays.com/valter ... oCajHw_wcB

http://www.rvpartscountry.com/MasterBla ... kWand.html

d
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”