Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Holding tank

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: Holding tank

Postby mjk1040 » June 18th, 2017, 6:41 am

:down:
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 aft cabin

Postby cpoint » June 20th, 2017, 12:54 am

I am still confused about the holding tank went filter. on our 2000 356, the back one makes a fould smell first time when we turn power on to aft head. Kinda embarrassing when people are around. I may have asked about this filter in the past in this forum. I find nothing on my documentation if I have one or where it is. Last week I did order a filter for that purpose, but have not been at the boat to see where it will go yet. Hopefully there is one that I can see and just replace it. If not one on there, I guess I have to cut part of the went line and insert the filter in there. Our aft head also goes on regularly maybe every 10-15 minutes even if not used but power is on. I am assuming that its loosing pressure somewhere? Any ideas where I should start looking for that? When I open the hatches in the back, there is no foul smell, so there is no leaks. The foul smell comes as I said when I turn the power on, and sometime when aft head is flushed. But smell comes strongest at the aft deck.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral

Postby mjk1040 » June 20th, 2017, 6:20 am

Say all, don't know if I mentioned this before or not. Some of our smell issues may be self made. First we all try to conserve water when using the heads, so we don't have to pump off, but we are creating the smell issue. If you do some research I think you will find that you should be putting about 2 gallons of water into our empty black tanks along with your choice of chemical. Also, when flushing the head, we should be holding the flushing valve open for 5-6 seconds, to add enough water along with the bowl contents. Diluting is part of the process. Also, shower sumps will cause smell issues too. Research has suggested that after using the shower, to let the water run for about 5 minutes to help flush out the soaps, etc. We probably should all get the manuals out and do some reading!
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » June 20th, 2017, 6:47 am

cpoint
most likely no filter inline now so you will probably be cutting the vent line if you install one. make sure you never over fill the waste tank if you install a filter if it ever gets wet it will no longer work. many on here including me have been using noflex digester to help with the holding tank issues.

if the vacu flush is loosing suction probably be the duck bill valves if the bowl is holding water. they are something that has to be replaced periodically

Dometic-385310076-Black-Duck-Valve they have them on amazon too.
also
https://www.hodgesmarine.com/Dometic-Du ... iramsegdoh
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
jcoll
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998 355 Motor yacht

Postby jcoll » June 20th, 2017, 8:12 pm

There's a book written by Peggie Hall - The Head Lady- as she calls herself, titled Get Rid of Boat Odors. It explains everything you need to know about sanitation systems on boats regardless of the water you're in or the type of system you have. I don't believe Carver installed filters on many boats, at least I know mine didn't have it, and from what I understand from reading this book a good working system won't need one.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral

Postby mjk1040 » June 20th, 2017, 8:43 pm

cpoint, our 355 manual mentions black tank vent filters, suggest changing them annually. I have them and to date have not traced out the vent lines to the thru hauls to see if we have them or not. I think the aft black tank vent line heads behind the TV cabinet. I just haven't taken the time to dismantle it to see if its there or not. You state the smell starts when you turn the power on. Do you mean the A/C aft unit is turning on? If so, are you sure the smell isn't coming from the shower aft sump and when the A/C unit kicks on it circulates the aft bilge air giving you the smell. That was our issue, now we flush the sump after taking a shower, no more odor issue. Hope u find ur issue soon. Check aft bilge net time before turning power on and see what u find. Good luck!
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » June 20th, 2017, 9:00 pm

Vent filter or not, you should not have holding tank odor in the boat unless you have a leak, or permeated hoses. The vent filter is to keep your marina neighbors from crying foul.
As Mike stated, the shower sump has been an issue for me also. Its not sealed, or externally vented, so it vents to the bilge. Also, it easily gets clogged with hair and soap, then it drains into the bilge as well, rather than over board.

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 aft cabin

Postby cpoint » June 21st, 2017, 12:39 am

Mike, there is no smell in the bilge. Basically when we power up the aft head (which is off during the week), smell comes from outside, so you get it in the aft deck. Not inside the cabin, or aft cabin, or bilge in the aft cabin. So pretty sure there are no leaks. We do try to keep it clean, but soon as there are guest, they love to use the heads :), so we end up with dirty tanks again. We try to get it pumped out often, but it does not help with that initial power on for some reason. Since I did buy the filter, I will install and see if it helps. Also interestingly the forward head does not have this issue. I did purchase the duck valves yesterday, I will install those, hope they will help with the vacuflush going of every 10-15 minutes as some one wrote as a fix.

As tom mentioned marina neighbors may start crying foul, so hope filter will stop them from crying :)

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral

Postby mjk1040 » June 21st, 2017, 6:05 am

Sounds like u have a leak somewhere in the system. Duck valves and bowl ball valve seal are the most common wear parts. Check vacuum tank lines. U are loosing vacuum in the system somewhere. Is there water still in the bowl when u first turn them on after u have been away? With the water off and bowl empty, I open the ball valve and lube bowl ball valve seal with vegetable oil. Hope u find ur issue soon.
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 21st, 2017, 7:40 am

[quote="cpoint"]Source of the post Mike, there is no smell in the bilge. Basically when we power up the aft head (which is off during the week), smell comes from outside, so you get it in the aft deck. Not inside the cabin, or aft cabin, or bilge in the aft cabin. So pretty sure there are no leaks.

I smell a fix here :-D This may be caused because waste is caught in the line between the vacuum pump and the tank itself and when you turn it on the pump cycles to build vacuum and pumps the waste that is in the line to the tank.That would give you the odor at the tank vent outside.Try , before you leave the boat or shut that system off for the week, flush it good and add the digester someone has already mentioned to make sure there is no waste in that line.Once the duckbills are in good shape it will pump much more efficiently.......... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”