Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

3807 AC Pump Relay Location

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
CptBacardi
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 38 Santego (not an aft cabin)

3807 AC Pump Relay Location

Postby CptBacardi » June 11th, 2017, 5:27 pm

Hi everyone! Do any of you know where the AC pump relay is located on an '89 Carver 3807? I have 2 Mermaid AC units each with their own thermostats operating on one AC pump. The berth unit will not start and there is an error code on the digital thermostat that blinks "HPF". The saloon unit does turn on (not digital) but the AC pump will not run. I've verified this with a voltmeter and by placing my hand on the pump. No power, no noise. I replaced the pump and it still does not come on. It's hard finding stuff on this boat. I can't find the windless isolator either. All help greatly appreciated!
1989 Carver 38 Santego

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: 3807 AC Pump Relay Location

Postby g36 » June 11th, 2017, 11:22 pm

As you may or may not know hpf is high freon pressure. This will most likely be reset by pressing the red pressure switch that is inline near the compressor. This probably was caused by no water flow if your pump is not pumping. Since these are not oem to carver the relay box if used may not be in the same location as oem units. I have mermaid units also but not a common pump. You may contact mermaid and ask them how they are controlling the common ac pump as it may be through the individual ac control boxes located at each unit and not a stand alone relay box.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 12th, 2017, 7:02 am

Welcome aboard. My control box is behind the generator. It's a black box mounted on the bulkhead at the generator platform level. I trust you have the pump breaker turned on?

CptBacardi
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby CptBacardi » June 12th, 2017, 11:39 am

Thank you so much for the replies and warm welcomes! I will head down to the boat today for further investigation. I was not aware of the pressure release button so I'll check that out. I will also check out the bulkhead behind the generator for any relays. There is a breaker labeled AC pump and I have tried switching it on off to no avail. Standby for updates and again thank you!
1989 Carver 38 Santego

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral

Postby g36 » June 12th, 2017, 1:01 pm

Hi. Thought I would include this. the red button is not a pressure release but is a safety switch for the compressor. If the freon pressure increases too much it will cut electrical power to the compressor. To protect it. Once it's tripped you must manually reset it by pushing the red plunger back in. A lack of cooling water will cause this to trip. The people at mermaid ate very helpful and your units might still be under warranty.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

CptBacardi
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby CptBacardi » June 12th, 2017, 1:12 pm

I need to update real quick that my boat is a 1989 Carver 38 Santego, not a 3807. The 38 Santego is not a 380 either and it does not have an aft cabin. So confusing. It's the Carver with a single forward berth and open saloon deck with double sinks in the galley. I'll be down there soon to check out the red reset button (thanks for the clarification g36) and try to find the dang relay. It's Texas, it's hot!
1989 Carver 38 Santego

CptBacardi
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby CptBacardi » June 12th, 2017, 4:28 pm

They're alive! All I had to do was hit the red reset switch on each Mermaid AC unit. What was confusing me is that the berth unit has a digital thermostat and the saloon unit has a normal thermostat. The digital one would not turn on the fan or anything and just flash "HPF". The non-digital one would turn on the fan but not the compressor. Thanks for all the help!!! Fair seas everyone.
1989 Carver 38 Santego

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral

Postby g36 » June 12th, 2017, 7:16 pm

AWESOME!!!!!!!
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » June 12th, 2017, 10:32 pm

It's always nice when you get a solution to a situation. Hope the rest of your season is fun filled.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”