Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

AC coil cleaning?

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
hausherrs
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 400

Re: AC coil cleaning?

Postby hausherrs » June 21st, 2017, 12:14 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post If it's that bad, the best thing to do is remove the unit entirely, remove the fan assembly, and spray a cleaning product or use pressured water, then blown it out with air from the fan side. Not an easy unit to clean properly in place.

I unbolted it yesterday to get a feel for what it would take to get it spun around. I got lucky. There’s a flimsy filter on it but that was clogged with mold and whatever else is prone to grow on these things. I took it out, dropped it in the shower, and soaked it with tilex. Its working much better now. But still not as good as it should. I think it’s time to run some barnacle buster through it. The high pressure side is a little warm and water flow isn’t as high as I think it should be. Planning on doing that this evening.

At some point I need to work on old problems. But too many new problems!

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » June 21st, 2017, 1:39 pm

A vac may get you through the season, but if performance is notably different, the coil is probably dirty well into the fins, not just on the surface. A vac wont get the set in dirt.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » June 21st, 2017, 6:17 pm

If you decide to use a chemical, make sure you flush way more than you think you need to. The last thing you need is to leave chemical on that metal.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

United States of America
Reelpriority
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 356 Aft Cabin
Miss Judy, Murrells Inlet, SC

Postby Reelpriority » June 21st, 2017, 10:34 pm

I have two of these Turbo units. Both units have two filter systems that require periodic cleaning. The unit has a mesh filter that slides up behind the cooper coils. Carver usually has a return grille with a filter behind the grill that should be cleaned or changed out.
Another option you might want to consider to improve the cooling on these units is to disconnect the seawater hoses from the manifold attached to the A/C pump. You can now make a barbed hose connection and connect a dockside hose to each hose. The dock side hose water pressure will flush out your sea water supply hoses as we'll as the Turbo coils. You should see a noticeable amount of brown sediment flush out of the exterior hull outlets. The A/C system will cool much better.
MISS JUDY
Murrells Inlet, SC

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » June 21st, 2017, 11:23 pm

The above mentioned flush will clean the condenser (water side) but if your evaporator (airside) is dirty, you will need to address by cleaning the coil by one or more of the procedures previously mentioned.
Recommend cleaning both sides if you are having issues.

United States of America
Reelpriority
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 356 Aft Cabin
Miss Judy, Murrells Inlet, SC

Postby Reelpriority » June 22nd, 2017, 9:59 pm

We have two Marine Air Turbo units on our 356 Aft Cabin. Both units have a pull up screen mesh filter behind the cooper tubing. This filter should be checked/cleaned frequently. Also, Carver usually has a filter installed behind the air return grille which should catch most of the airborne dust. Check to see if you have a filter in this location. If not, you can purchase filter meash at Home Depot or Lowes which you can cut with scissors to fit the space behind the air return grille.
Another cooling improvement you might want to try is to flush your seawater cooling lines going to the turbo. Disconnect the seawater hose attached to the manifold and attached your dockside water hose with a barbed hose fitting a small section of water hose. The water pressure from the deck will flush out a significant amount of sediment that is contained in the seawater hoses and the Turbo coils. You feel a noticeable improvement in cooling.
MISS JUDY
Murrells Inlet, SC

hausherrs
First Mate
First Mate

Postby hausherrs » June 26th, 2017, 10:37 am

Reelpriority wrote:Source of the post flush your seawater cooling lines

The front AC unit is a little older. Not sure what model but it allears to be some sort of Dometec / Air ac. When it gets bad it shuts down and will throw a HP (High Pressure) on the thermostat screen. Ive hooked a hose up to that one before to flush for that reason. Ive done both. I ran some barnicle buster through both recently. Let it soak for 3 hours. It works a little better but still seems like theres more room for emprovement. I also cleaned the filter. It was nasty.

Ill hook the hose up to it today and see how much junk I can blow out. Might BB treatment as well.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » June 26th, 2017, 2:21 pm

if you are getting and HP (high pressure) fault, your problem is on the condenser (water) side if the trouble is in the A/C mode.

hausherrs
First Mate
First Mate

Postby hausherrs » June 27th, 2017, 3:46 pm

Hooked the hose up to the condenser tubes and pumped out quite a bit of mud. I cycled the water on for 30 seconds and off for 2 minutes. I did that three times with quite a bit of mud coming out. On the 4th time it was clear. Front AC is ice cold! The rear is good too but not nearly as good as the front. It'll do.

Thanks,

Steven

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 27th, 2017, 9:19 pm

What are the ratings on the two units?

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”