Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

AC coil cleaning?

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
hausherrs
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 400

Re: AC coil cleaning?

Postby hausherrs » June 28th, 2017, 4:34 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post What are the ratings on the two units?

I will have to get the model number and look it up. I thought the previous owner said the rear was a 14000. But the Turbo isnt available in 14k. So I dont want to lie...

Ill be out there this evening.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » December 7th, 2017, 5:24 am

I have seen a lot of AC units but that one wins the prize for worst maintenance engineering! Still trying to figure out how they won an ibex innovation award.

A well designed unit should also consider regular maintenance. This is what I have been using for several years now on a differant boat and will be upgrading my units on the Carver over time with. https://www.marinaire.com/Marine-air-co ... ba16k2.htm
Actually even has a removable/washable foam filter over the front which is very helpful. I highly recommend you install a pleated type filter on the inside of your intake vent hole which is quite easy to do with a little ingenuity. Even cutting some filter material to your dimensions if the space does permit otherwise also works well.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
sep4086
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1990 3867 SANTEGO
2003 PRO LINE 26 WALK

Postby sep4086 » December 13th, 2017, 5:48 pm

I picked up foaming a/c coil cleaner from Menards and it did the job.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » December 14th, 2017, 11:21 am

Installing any filter on the return grille might be only marginally helpful. If it's like most boat installs the ac unit is going to pull surrounding air including bilge air or whatever surrounding compartment air and this least resistance air will not be through that filter., because they are not isolated or closed system like your home hvac where all the return air must pass through the return grill and filter. That's why the foam filter is directly on the coil i have redesigned the install of a couple my hvac units on my 405 to be a closed type setup because we would smell the bilge in cabin when the ac was running it's not easy on a boat but can be done..
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Topic author United States of America
hausherrs
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 400

Postby hausherrs » December 14th, 2017, 11:55 am

I was able to get rid of most of the stink smell from the bilge. Not all of it. I keep it mostly dry in there now, but theres some old residual stank in the AC hoses that I would like to replace very soon.

I never cleaned the coil since I started this thread. I just pulled the mesh filter that was on the coil and cleaned it. It was caked over with mildew. It was quite disgusting.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”