Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

3607 aft holding tank

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
chiroman24
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1983 Carver 3607

3607 aft holding tank

Postby chiroman24 » November 15th, 2017, 9:30 am

I recently purchased a 1983 3607 that needs some TLC. One issue we discovered after crawling around in the boat was the aft holding tank was gone and the two large hoses and a smaller clear-ish hose (water line?) were capped off. So my question is this, after looking at tanks online, some tanks are just plastic boxes and some have a pump or some sort of motor on top. Does anyone know what I need or what the boat came with? or does anyone have a picture of the area under the rear bed with the water heater and holding tank in place? thanks!!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: 3607 aft holding tank

Postby Viper » November 15th, 2017, 9:55 am

The small hose should be the tank vent hose. The other end will lead to a vent fitting on the side of the hull. One of the large hoses will be inlet to the tank and the other will be the pump out hose to the deck fitting unless you have a macerator hook up for overboard discharge.

If you have a toilet with a foot pedal, then chances are it's a Vacuflush unit which would require a vacuum generator which I suspect is what you're describing on the tank as having the pump/motor on top. It's likely though that you do not have a Vacuflush system and would simply need a regular holding tank that would fit in that space. You'll need to check the type of toilet you have. A picture would help us help you.

chiroman24
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby chiroman24 » November 15th, 2017, 10:24 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post The small hose should be the tank vent hose. The other end will lead to a vent fitting on the side of the hull. One of the large hoses will be inlet to the tank and the other will be the pump out hose to the deck fitting unless you have a macerator hook up for overboard discharge.

If you have a toilet with a foot pedal, then chances are it's a Vacuflush unit which would require a vacuum generator which I suspect is what you're describing on the tank as having the pump/motor on top. It's likely though that you do not have a Vacuflush system and would simply need a regular holding tank that would fit in that space. You'll need to check the type of toilet you have. A picture would help us help you.

A picture of the toilets I assume? I will snap a few this weekend and update. thanks!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » November 15th, 2017, 10:35 am

Yes, a pic of the toilet or if you know for sure there is no foot pedal that opens up a ball inside the bowl (you'd see it) then it's not a Vacuflush and just a regular tank applies.

chiroman24
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby chiroman24 » November 15th, 2017, 10:46 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post Yes, a pic of the toilet or if you know for sure there is no foot pedal that opens up a ball inside the bowl (you'd see it) then it's not a Vacuflush and just a regular tank applies.

If i'm not mistaken, the aft toilet is "electric" with no ability to manually flush. the front head is electric and has a handle that allows flushing manually?! if that sounds correct. I know the aft head has no handle. I will get some pics. thanks for your input.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 15th, 2017, 12:28 pm

chiroman24 wrote:Source of the post
Viper wrote:Source of the post Yes, a pic of the toilet or if you know for sure there is no foot pedal that opens up a ball inside the bowl (you'd see it) then it's not a Vacuflush and just a regular tank applies.

If i'm not mistaken, the aft toilet is "electric" with no ability to manually flush. the front head is electric and has a handle that allows flushing manually?! if that sounds correct. I know the aft head has no handle. I will get some pics. thanks for your input.

You probably have the same heads as mine, if they are original. They are manual heads that can be motorized. Sounds like your aft one is motorized. Mine are both motorized. There should be a chrome pushbutton on the port side of the aft sink cabinet. This energizes the motor. There is a manual open/closed valve on the head and this is the water input into the head. This draws from lake water via a thru-hull just forward of the port engine.

To replace the tank, you just need a waste tank that fits between the potable water tanks. I have the dimensions somewhere, because I have been planning to replace mine for a while now. I believe it is a 40 gallon tank. It is nearly the same height as the potable water tanks, just wide enough to fit between the potable water tanks and behind the water heater tank.

The heads on mine are Raritan PHE-II. There is a pic [url]http://raritaneng.com/tech-support/repair-shop/phii-and-pheii/[url] of a manual version. The electric is the same except there is a motor and linkage on the back, and the handle is removed. If the motor fails, you can pull a pin in the linkage and put the handle in a use it manually.

chiroman24
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby chiroman24 » November 15th, 2017, 1:12 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post
chiroman24 wrote:Source of the post

You probably have the same heads as mine, if they are original. They are manual heads that can be motorized. Sounds like your aft one is motorized. Mine are both motorized. There should be a chrome pushbutton on the port side of the aft sink cabinet. This energizes the motor. There is a manual open/closed valve on the head and this is the water input into the head. This draws from lake water via a thru-hull just forward of the port engine.

To replace the tank, you just need a waste tank that fits between the potable water tanks. I have the dimensions somewhere, because I have been planning to replace mine for a while now. I believe it is a 40 gallon tank. It is nearly the same height as the potable water tanks, just wide enough to fit between the potable water tanks and behind the water heater tank.

The heads on mine are Raritan PHE-II. There is a pic [url]http://raritaneng.com/tech-support/repair-shop/phii-and-pheii/[url] of a manual version. The electric is the same except there is a motor and linkage on the back, and the handle is removed. If the motor fails, you can pull a pin in the linkage and put the handle in a use it manually.

Man, thank you for all that info! i looked at the link and i agree with you. the head up front looks like the pic and the aft head is the same but missing the handle on the side. i will look for the chrome button in the aft head to verify that it is indeed "electric". i appreciate your responses!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » November 15th, 2017, 1:43 pm

Does the toilet have a big plastic box under the bowl? Carver also use Raritan Crown models in earlier vintages as noted in this link: http://raritaneng.com/tech-support/repair-shop/phii-and-pheii/
The box may have been removed by a previous owner but you'd still see the motor at the base of the toilet mount. It would not have the pump off to the side as noted in KM1125's model/link but he is correct in that they may have used that model as well.

chiroman24
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby chiroman24 » November 16th, 2017, 12:37 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post Does the toilet have a big plastic box under the bowl? Carver also use Raritan Crown models in earlier vintages as noted in this link: http://raritaneng.com/tech-support/repair-shop/phii-and-pheii/
The box may have been removed by a previous owner but you'd still see the motor at the base of the toilet mount. It would not have the pump off to the side as noted in KM1125's model/link but he is correct in that they may have used that model as well.

do not recall any large plastic box but when I get back to to boat this weekend I will take pics and see if there is any identifying info on the heads.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”