Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Tankless Water heater

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
ataylor233
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Tankless Water heater

Postby ataylor233 » November 29th, 2017, 5:32 pm

Wow i would love to replace my 12 gallon water heater for a tank less, those things seem to draw so much power. Has any one seen any low draw tank less heaters that flow about 3gpm so i can take a hot shower lol.... i know its a extremely long shot but i had to mention it.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Tankless Water heater

Postby Midnightsun » November 29th, 2017, 6:22 pm

That would imply no hot water as soon as you leave shore power or you would need to fire up the genny whenever you wanted some. Personally I have never run out of hot water at the dock even though we both take showers. Those small water heaters really heat up fast. Mine is only 11 gallon.

It boils down to simple physics. In order to heat cold water as it passes through, you need a lot of juice, much more so than a standard water heater. You will not find a low draw unit that is worth installing.

That being said, I have experimented with the propane variety off the swim platform. Now these things really do work well. Played with it in the garage a few years ago. 54F cold water in, 100+F out. :clap: Adapted a 1lb bottle to it to keep it compact which is good for about 3 long showers.

Really wish I could install something like this and draw straight from the lake as the water here is crystal.

This is the unit I have. The girl does not come with it. :-D https://www.ebay.com/itm/8L-Gas-Tankles ... Sw3ydV3UEr
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » November 30th, 2017, 9:06 am

low draw and tankless don't work together
To go tankless, you either need LOTS of amps or propane.

An 11 gal heater bumped up to 160-170 will give you a nice long shower. I know from personal experience.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 30th, 2017, 9:38 am

ataylor233 wrote:Source of the post Wow i would love to replace my 12 gallon water heater for a tank less, those things seem to draw so much power. Has any one seen any low draw tank less heaters that flow about 3gpm so i can take a hot shower lol.... i know its a extremely long shot but i had to mention it.

You seem to be quite the marksman regarding the longshot ... :-D.... yeh, I also don't think you will find that combo together, there never really is anything free in the energy transfer world.That said I believe that the one that would work would be the propane one, but even that one may have some issues controlling temps at such low flows.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 30th, 2017, 11:50 am

ataylor233 wrote:Source of the post Wow i would love to replace my 12 gallon water heater for a tank less.....

May seem like a simple question but, WHY?

ataylor233
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby ataylor233 » November 30th, 2017, 1:00 pm

Lol some pretty serious answers I know what it takes just wishful thinking I've already ordered a replacement 12gallon water heater. Lol

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 30th, 2017, 8:05 pm

ataylor233 wrote:Source of the post Lol some pretty serious answers I know what it takes just wishful thinking I've already ordered a replacement 12gallon water heater. Lol

So there wasn't a part of you that was hoping???????...... :-D ....... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

ataylor233
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby ataylor233 » December 2nd, 2017, 12:56 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post
ataylor233 wrote:Source of the post Lol some pretty serious answers I know what it takes just wishful thinking I've already ordered a replacement 12gallon water heater. Lol

So there wasn't a part of you that was hoping???????...... :-D ....... :beergood:

lol yup

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”