Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

thermostat for marineair 3 knob control

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

United States of America
RaRa
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1990 Carver 32 Montego

Re: thermostat for marineair 3 knob control

Postby RaRa » March 22nd, 2018, 8:23 pm

Tom, you are one smart cookie! I found it on Hodges Marine website. Hmm, the West Marine says price match. And they did! Ship to the store 3.2 miles from the boat.
And SEP4086, I have a complete 3 knob controller I will make you a deal on! If you wer closer, it could be a porter house at Salt Grass Steak House. Guess shipping to you will have to suffice for a fee.
1989 Montego 3257 @ Galveston Yacht Basin

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » March 22nd, 2018, 10:09 pm

I will be in Carrollton next week, if that porterhouse is available let me know!
8-)

United States of America
RaRa
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1990 Carver 32 Montego

Postby RaRa » March 24th, 2018, 11:56 am

Sure! I am in Houston, boat in Galveston. New unit will not be here until Wednesday, but I unplugged the thermostat and have fan keeping air circulating.
1989 Montego 3257 @ Galveston Yacht Basin

United States of America
Kvw613
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1982 Carver 3607 twin Diesel

Postby Kvw613 » April 2nd, 2018, 6:30 pm

When it comes down to actual function, are not all air conditioners similar? The thermostat still needs to turn on the actual components, i.e. stage1 & 2 compressors, reversing valve, and fan? I ask this because I was able to replace the thermostat in my RV with a smart, home type thermostat. Specifically, I used an Ecobee Smart si thermostat. While the primary difference between home thermostats is the home system requires a 25vac power supply, many smart thermostats use battery power, not requiring 25 vac at all. The thermostat is just a switch that coordinates the various components of the air conditioning system. The Ecobee si smart thermostat says it needs 25 vac, but will work on 12 vdc. My Ecobee very nicely controls my RV air conditioner, and knows when to kick in the reverse cycle and fan. Plus, I can monitor and control it over the internet. I will very much consider installing a smart thermostat to replace my Marineair controls, should the necessity arise.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » April 2nd, 2018, 6:41 pm

Unfortunately, no they aren't the same. Your marine air thermostat if it is the electronic type used for the last 15 years or more communicates with the main unit via DC bus. A standard home thermostat simply uses triacs to switch 24 VAC circuits on your furnace or air condition on and off. The marine air units have these triacs on the control board inside the main unit.
If your unit is old enough to have R G Y B C terminals, then yes you can use most any thermostat.

United States of America
BenTen
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1984 Carver 3697 Mariner - "We'll Sea"

Postby BenTen » February 11th, 2019, 1:42 pm

SplashyLady wrote:Source of the post You may find you are better off to just upgrade your controls for $175: http://www.marinaire.com/Marine-Air-Con ... ck1-an.htm

Sorry to bring back this old thread- but does anyone know why the price for the retrofit control panel jumped to $775 from the $175 that was mentioned less than a year ago?

Ben in SC
Thanks,
Ben in SC

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » February 11th, 2019, 1:55 pm

Must be a typo, call them to clear things up.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
BenTen
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1984 Carver 3697 Mariner - "We'll Sea"

Postby BenTen » February 11th, 2019, 6:37 pm