Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1997 Carver 405 Raw Water Heads

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
Wayne162
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405
"Change In Latitude"
Home port - Charleston, South Carolina

Re: 1997 Carver 405 Raw Water Heads

Postby Wayne162 » June 29th, 2018, 11:28 pm

I checked power supply at the switch and at the Jabsco solenoid and had just over 12v at both, so the switch appears to be functioning. Tomschauer had mentioned to bypass the impeller. I was not sure if I needed it to pull fresh water to the bowl. Can this be done by just removing the impeller itself from the shaft within the housing? I have great pressure from the dock water but its not reflected in the flow through the solenoid to the bowl.

:usa:

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » July 24th, 2018, 9:49 pm

You want to route the fresh water hose outlet of your solenoid directly to the toilet bowl (rear near the top) this will totally bypass the raw water impeller.

Wayne162
Captain
Captain
"Change In Latitude"

Postby Wayne162 » July 24th, 2018, 11:13 pm

What I did was run the fresh water hose from the solenoid to the existing raw water line at the bowl and T'ed it into that line before the impeller. Then I shut the sea cock off for the raw water line and figured the fresh water would be pulled in. But I think the water flows to slow because of vacuum created by the impeller, so I plan on removing the impeller from the shaft to see what happens.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 25th, 2018, 7:23 am

Wayne162 wrote:Source of the post What I did was run the fresh water hose from the solenoid to the existing raw water line at the bowl and T'ed it into that line before the impeller. Then I shut the sea cock off for the raw water line and figured the fresh water would be pulled in. But I think the water flows to slow because of vacuum created by the impeller, so I plan on removing the impeller from the shaft to see what happens.

It will be very interesting to see how much quieter the head gets with the impeller gone as I am contemplating doing something along the same lines.If you don't mind keep us posted.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Wayne162
Captain
Captain
"Change In Latitude"

Postby Wayne162 » July 25th, 2018, 10:07 am

Will do. My reason is to try and get rid of using saltwater to get the odor out.

Wayne162
Captain
Captain
"Change In Latitude"

Postby Wayne162 » August 5th, 2018, 11:54 am

Hey Ya'll,
I have successfully converted my OEM aft Raritan raw water (Saltwater) head to fresh water. This issue has bothered me for sometime now, but I have finally, finally started down the path to a fresher smelling boat. I had marine plumbers tell me it would cost about $6000 to do both heads. I did the aft head for about $50. I will now also do the forward head the same way since I know my method worked. Then I plan to clean the carpets and upholstery to end the nightmare.

How I did it:
First I tried a Jabsco solenoid valve with a back-flow prevented. It cost $145.00 and a lot of wasted time before I determined with Jabsco that the valve was defective. It is a garbage valve.

I then purchased a US Solid stainless steel solenoid valve for $39.00.

I connected into an aft freshwater line, then installed my own back-flow preventer (Home Depot). I installed a 1/2 inch water valve after the back flow preventer and before the valve. I then looped the waterline to the US Solid valve. (Make sure you follow the water flow direction arrow on the valve) I then ran the water supply from the valve to the impeller housing at the base of the Raritan, and Tee'ed it into the existing raw water supply and shut the sea cock off. Water did not flow strong enough with the impeller and fresh water. I removed the impeller and neoprene washers and replaced the housing with new gasket sealant. I connected the 12v head flush switch to the solenoid valve and ran my ground to the macerator motor. Once tested, the unit worked flawlessly on both dock and pump water. I regulated the water pressure through the 1/2 inch water valve. Also you will need a new 99 cent 1/2 inch ribbed elbo to 3/4 to replace the inlet at the top of the back of the head where the flush water enters the bowl. The OEM elbo has a deodorizer inlet that you won't need, and you need to get the hose all the way on and clamp it or it will leak due to high pressure flushes.

Once done, within a day or two I noticed my septic / sulfer smell stronger forward in the boat than aft identifying that the aft head was no longer permeating odor in my boat. Note: previously I also had replaced my septic lines found in my other post's.

Wayne162
Captain
Captain
"Change In Latitude"

Postby Wayne162 » August 5th, 2018, 11:55 am

See attached photo's.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 5th, 2018, 12:30 pm

Looks good...nice job,..... is there any change in the delay when the flush starts now from before. We have a different head , but also how is the noise level now.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Wayne162
Captain
Captain
"Change In Latitude"

Postby Wayne162 » August 5th, 2018, 2:26 pm

My flush is instant with no delay at this point. The impeller is removed, so its maybe a little less noise but the macerator still engages and that is where most of the noise comes from.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 23rd, 2018, 11:14 pm

looks good, but I would still cut out the "t" and bypass the original head pump housing, thus eliminating potential leaks and extra time to winterize, if you winterize in SC.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”