Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Ponding water

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
Killin time
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1996 355 Aft Cabin

Ponding water

Postby Killin time » April 19th, 2018, 10:35 am

Referencing my 1996 355;

In the hull area of the galley there is ponding water but seemingly only when the ac is used as I never saw water during the winter. I looked at the ac unit and didn't see a source coming from it.

Where could it be coming from?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Ponding water

Postby g36 » April 19th, 2018, 10:49 am

cant tell how much by pics, if only in summer not in winter using heat, with ac then it could be the condensate from the ac unit, not always but it is usually hooked up to the sump pump and it will pump over and not be drained into bilge. by your pics it looks like may have been some updates (cant really tell ) to your sump box but just verify that the drain from the pan under the ac and hose is connected to the sump box. another source . are you sure your sump box is not overflowing from galley or sink from head etc? could it be rain or wash water that has migrated forward to that compartment?
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 19th, 2018, 6:46 pm

I agree with g36. It's sounding like it might be related to the AC operation. check and see if there's a hose hooked up to the bottom tray of the AC unit. If there is, you could try pouring water in the tray and see if it makes its way into the sump or ends up in the bilge. Drying the bilge and sump first will help with this determination.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » April 19th, 2018, 7:13 pm

Put some food coloring in the AC pan water to help identify it. Also, double check the hot water heater if yours is located in the immediate area. The photo's seem to be showing fresh water in the bilge. The pressure/heat relief valve will leak by if bad and also check the drain valve for leaks. If these two check out ok, check hot water tank itself. Good luck and happy hunting! Shower sump looks new, but I had one with a hair line crack in it at the discharge outlet area, when it pumped it would leak into the bilge. I cleaned it. dried it and applied 2 coats of Flex Seal spray around the expected cracked area, water in bilge gone! Lasted all the last half of the season, will see if its still good this season! They seem to crack easy removing or applying the hoses to the shower sump box.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » April 19th, 2018, 7:28 pm

as mentioned above, most likely the water heater relief valve.

Also this seems to be a low spot in the 355. It seems that any water that enters the bilge anywhere in the boat will show up here first when you are in the water.

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Postby feeez » April 19th, 2018, 9:33 pm

this is a little off topic... but what is that flooring in the pics??... looks like the bamboo I have in my house.

Cheers
Fraser
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

Topic author United States of America
Killin time
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1996 355 Aft Cabin

Postby Killin time » April 20th, 2018, 3:32 pm

Thanks for noticing. You are exactly right sir.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”