Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Hot Water heater

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
ataylor233
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Hot Water heater

Postby ataylor233 » April 29th, 2018, 4:38 pm

Ok so i'm not sure but i think i'm going to need to replace my hot water heater . My question is whats the difference between a electric hot water heater with side connections from lowes for 300 and the marine one for 800.00 they are both around the same size same electrical specs from what i can see . i don't have the connections for the engine. so i'm wondering why the one from lowes wont work just as well any ideas?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Hot Water heater

Postby bud37 » April 29th, 2018, 5:15 pm

I believe lots of people have used household water heaters in their boats with perhaps no issues.....but there maybe a case for a discussion about marine ratings and surveys/insurance.The one thing that would concern me is , I would have to make sure it is wired correctly for marine in regards to the hot/neutral/ground relationships.....remember house 120 volt wiring is handled differently in regards to neutral and grounding.This can be checked by a qualified marine electrician to ensure your safety.....sure is a big price difference though........ :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author United States of America
ataylor233
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby ataylor233 » April 29th, 2018, 5:28 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post I believe lots of people have used household water heaters in their boats with perhaps no issues.....but there maybe a case for a discussion about marine ratings and surveys/insurance.The one thing that would concern me is , I would have to make sure it is wired correctly for marine in regards to the hot/neutral/ground relationships.....remember house 120 volt wiring is handled differently in regards to neutral and grounding.This can be checked by a qualified marine electrician to ensure your safety.....sure is a big price difference though........

yes the wiring was my only thoughts i will have a marine electrician by my side he's my friend so we will see what he says

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » April 29th, 2018, 5:52 pm

If you are not taking showers and do not use the heat exchanger function, a compact 4g unit from HD should work fine at 1/4 the cost. This one even says great for boat/RV however this does not mean it meets marine standards. I personally would have no issue with installing one. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eccotemp-4- ... /205811530

Only problem is the day you go to sell the boat and the surveyor sees a home unit. He will most likely mark that on the list of unacceptable items.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 29th, 2018, 6:04 pm

ataylor233 wrote:Source of the post
bud37 wrote:Source of the post I believe lots of people have used household water heaters in their boats with perhaps no issues.....but there maybe a case for a discussion about marine ratings and surveys/insurance.The one thing that would concern me is , I would have to make sure it is wired correctly for marine in regards to the hot/neutral/ground relationships.....remember house 120 volt wiring is handled differently in regards to neutral and grounding.This can be checked by a qualified marine electrician to ensure your safety.....sure is a big price difference though........

yes the wiring was my only thoughts i will have a marine electrician by my side he's my friend so we will see what he says

Good call man , I am glad to hear that.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » April 29th, 2018, 8:07 pm

The home type water heaters will work in your boat. But don't expect to get 15 -20 years of service from one. The "real" marine units have stainless steel inner tanks and either stainless or aluminum outer covers. If your water heater is some where in the cabin and not continually exposed to moisture, the outside will most likely not rust or corrode. Where you may have a problem is the actual water (inner) tank. Residential units are thin standard steel with an internal epoxy type coating, these are meant to be stationary, not bouncing around all of the time.
Will they work? most certainly, how long will they last? one year? five years? Who knows, but definitely not 10, 15 or more. Mine is 20 this year.
Try one, and see how long it lasts, the initial savings may or may not prove out over many years.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 29th, 2018, 9:12 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post The home type water heaters will work in your boat. But don't expect to get 15 -20 years of service from one. The "real" marine units have stainless steel inner tanks and either stainless or aluminum outer covers. If your water heater is some where in the cabin and not continually exposed to moisture, the outside will most likely not rust or corrode. Where you may have a problem is the actual water (inner) tank. Residential units are thin standard steel with an internal epoxy type coating, these are meant to be stationary, not bouncing around all of the time.
Will they work? most certainly, how long will they last? one year? five years? Who knows, but definitely not 10, 15 or more. Mine is 20 this year.
Try one, and see how long it lasts, the initial savings may or may not prove out over many years.

+1
Not to mention that if yours is mounted in a gasoline engine compartment, you cannot put a household unit in there unless it has an ignition proof rating.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”