Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Vacu Flush Woes

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Vacu Flush Woes

Postby Midnightsun » May 11th, 2018, 3:04 am

What is the quiet motor upgrade? It is barely noticeable when it is running. Thought I had the newer version which included this since it is called "Whisper quiet vacuum pump"
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 11th, 2018, 6:49 am

If you have the "Whisper ..." then you have the upgrade already. There are a few benefits over the older style including a better bellows. If you buy a spare bellows ensure you're getting the upgraded version instead of something that's been sitting on the shelf for while. It plays a large role in quieting the pump.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » May 11th, 2018, 7:51 am

Thanks, It's funny how we call things new in the boating industry as my boat is a 2007 which means new is at least 11 years old. Compare that to a cell phone as an example and in 6 months its passé.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Postby feeez » May 11th, 2018, 10:26 am

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post It's a shitty job but somebody has to do it. :lol:

dang midnight.... beat me to the punch on the punch line...... :banghead:
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » May 11th, 2018, 7:37 pm

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post Thanks, It's funny how we call things new in the boating industry as my boat is a 2007 which means new is at least 11 years old. Compare that to a cell phone as an example and in 6 months its passé.

6 months? Heck a cell phone is outdated by the time it hits the market :banghead:

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » May 28th, 2018, 4:38 am

:::::UPDATE:::::

Had all the parts in hand ready to rebuild yesterday but decided to try using a small plunger I have always kept on board as a last resort. Just a tiny thing I believe is made for sinks like this. https://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraft- ... /302136270. With the bowl partially full of water I plunged the crap out of it (pun intended) which to my surprise worked like a charm. :-D Tried flushing numerous times and now works flawlessly each and every time. Vacuum sound and time to build was normal with each flush. Will keep the parts on board for a rebuild at some later date when required.

You may want to add one of those sink plungers to your things to have on board list for several uses, sure came in handy this time around. :drunk:
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » May 28th, 2018, 5:02 am

I keep a small plunger aboard just for that reason. It even works on vent lines.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » May 28th, 2018, 5:12 am

When you look deeper at the design you realize there are 2 duckbills before and 2 after the pump. While technically only 1 is required, the second acts as a backup in case there is debris or something clogging it. Failure such as on mine indicate one is already gone and the second one I managed to jump start so to say. Definitely in need of a rebuild which will happen sometime this season. I do know by looking at my pump and fitting that the parts have never been serviced so basically 11 years old. Pretty impressed with the longevity of the valves. Hopefully the eventual rebuild will keep me going for another 10+ years.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » May 28th, 2018, 9:06 am

Before you start, pump water into the system several times in hopes that it will clean the components as well as can be expected considering what's gone through there in 11 years. Remember this is bio waste and that you can get extremely sick from working on this stuff so take precautions and use some safety gear; a cheap dust mask to keep anything from accidentally spaying into your mouth, eye protection, and you must wear gloves. I double up on nitrile gloves but dish washing gloves from the dollar store work great too. Oh and lots of rags, place several under the duckbill fittings before you undo them just in case there is liquid there. Take a plastic bag with you to put the soiled rags, and your gloves in. Oh and a few cold ones topsides for when you're finished ;-) Good luck.

United States of America
CaptBob
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: Shopping....

Postby CaptBob » May 28th, 2018, 12:51 pm

I would add to make sure to run the bilge fans, or ventilate the area you are working in. Mine is located forward of the genny, and we moved a vent hose to the area so to quickly remove fumes and odors. While it did not make it pleasant, it was much more tolerable. As Viper said, flush a bunch of fresh water through it, and repair it before it's a problem, 'cause when it becomes a problem.... you loose the ability to prepare, and that's a problem!
Capt Bob!
More Nautiville 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
A little less Nauti 2008 SeaDoo 150 Speedster (Admiral could not live without a jet boat.... :captain2: )

Nautiville 2005 Cruisers 280 CXi *Sold*
Nautitown 2012 SeaDoo 180 SP *Sold*

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”