Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

My A/C Diagnosis

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

My A/C Diagnosis

Postby RGrew176 » July 20th, 2018, 3:05 am

I had the marine air conditioning guy out to my boat yesterday. After checking everything out the diagnosis is the electronic card that controls the unit is bad.

We headed up to a local marine store. He had me order a new card and a new thermostat. By my paying for it I did save some markup that he would have charged had he ordered the parts. My unit is a 1996 model Cruiseair. While I could have adapted the current thermostat to the new card I chose to get both new as like I said the unit is 22 years old. Also, there are some electronics in the thermostat.

He did make sure that the rest of the unit is functioning as it should. He jumpered out the electrical to by-pass the electronics. He did both running both the A/C and the heat cycle. Both cycles worked as they should. The A/C blew cold 54* air out the vent and the heat side worked too.

The parts cost $678.40 so that will be added to my how much I spent this season total. I was prepared to go possibly with a new unit but the old one is working as it should. The parts + labor will be less than a new unit. Fingers are crossed that this will fully repair the unit. Parts should be in hopefully next week. I could be sleeping aboard soon. It's just to warm aboard without the working A/C.

Of course I will have to pay for his labor once the job is complete. Probably another $400 to $500 depending on his hourly rate.

B.O.A.T. Break out another thousand.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Re: My A/C Diagnosis

Postby pepmyster » July 20th, 2018, 5:39 am

Let's hope all is well afterwards!!!!!!!!!!!

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 20th, 2018, 6:43 am

Glad to hear you got off for under a grand, unusual in todays boating world. :clap: Now lets just hope the rest of the 22 year old components hold up for another decade or so. ;-)
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
PJHoffnet
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby PJHoffnet » July 20th, 2018, 9:20 pm

Much like upkeep on any older vehicle, you put a little in day in and day out in preventative maintenance costs. Fix or pay to fix a thing or two from time to time ($100 range), and at least once a year have to pay ~$1,000 for a biggie.

RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral

Postby RGrew176 » July 21st, 2018, 12:07 am

pepmyster wrote:Source of the post Let's hope all is well afterwards!!!!!!!!!!!

My fingers are crossed.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore

RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral

Postby RGrew176 » July 21st, 2018, 12:10 am

PJHoffnet wrote:Source of the post Much like upkeep on any older vehicle, you put a little in day in and day out in preventative maintenance costs. Fix or pay to fix a thing or two from time to time ($100 range), and at least once a year have to pay ~$1,000 for a biggie.

I knew and really expected that with a 1981 boat there would be things I would have to do to keep her running. This issue is one of several that have happened during my coming up on 3 years of ownership. The biggest so far my port side transmission rebuild last year.

One of the things I want to do next year is convert both engines over to electronic ignition. Hopefully there will be no other major surprises between now and then.

Actually there is another issue, My electric head has ceased to work. I do plan to at least have it looked at this season. If it is something costly I may just replace the unit with a manual unit. All my previous boats with heads were manual so I have no problem going with one.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore

RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral

Postby RGrew176 » July 24th, 2018, 11:25 pm

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post Glad to hear you got off for under a grand, unusual in todays boating world. :clap: Now lets just hope the rest of the 22 year old components hold up for another decade or so. ;-)

I think by the time I pay for the labor to check out the unit and install the new parts I will be close to a grand or a bit over.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore

RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral

Postby RGrew176 » July 24th, 2018, 11:27 pm

PJHoffnet wrote:Source of the post Much like upkeep on any older vehicle, you put a little in day in and day out in preventative maintenance costs. Fix or pay to fix a thing or two from time to time ($100 range), and at least once a year have to pay ~$1,000 for a biggie.

Seems about correct. A bit over $2300 last year for the transmission repair. This A/C fix by the time I pay for the labor will be around a grand. Next year I hope to upgrade to electronic ignition on both engines. Probably going to be $1300 or so. It's only money, and boating is fun. :-D
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore

RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral

Postby RGrew176 » July 27th, 2018, 3:01 am

The parts for my A/C repair came in on Thursday. I will have them installed next week. Should have working A/C by this time next week. Just in time for my vacation. Heading out for a week on Monday August 6th. Gotta have A/C.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore

RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral

Postby RGrew176 » August 3rd, 2018, 4:29 am

My A/C is fixed, sort of. I had the marine HVAC guy back to the boat yesterday. He installed the new card and thermostat. I powered up the unit and the card showed power but no power to the thermostat. He did some tweaking and while there is still no power to the thermostat the unit did power up and pump out cool air.

So, it is working, sort of. Not sure why the thermostat is not getting power. The unit does cycle on and off without the operating thermostat and is holding a setting of 70*. That will allow me to head out on Monday morning for my weeks boating vacation. The A/C guy is going to contact tech support to see what they might suggest.

For the record my unit is a 1996 install. The part number of the card had to be cross referenced to get a match. There could be something in the card that has to be adapted to make the thermostat work as it should. There is a possibility the thermostat power cord is bad but he said in his 34 years of working on marine A/C units he has never had to replace a thermostat wire.

So, I have a somewhat working and functioning A/C system onboard. Time to do some boating. If anyone has run into a similar problem I/we are open to suggestions.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”