Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forward ac unit

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Forward ac unit

Postby pepmyster » July 23rd, 2018, 9:48 am

Here we go. Both our ac systems work very well. The forward one works so well that the evap frosts up and leaks outside of the unit, down onto our carpet! Anyone ever see this? The only thing I can understand is that since it is under the bed and surrounded , it's not getting any air. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance, Andrew.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Forward ac unit

Postby Midnightsun » July 23rd, 2018, 11:46 am

90% sure the issue is poor air movement over the evaporator. Make sure nothing is blocking the intake (there must be a intake grating somewhere around the bed base for an intake) . Make sure the evaporator is clean and not full of fluff. Check see if there is a screen at the intake that will surely need cleaning. Sometimes they are poorly designed from the factory and may require enlargement of the intake or exhaust manifold/lines. One way to verify is to prop the compartment up to increase the intake, if it no longer freezes like this, chances are you found your problem.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 23rd, 2018, 1:10 pm

Andrew, that unit has been there since build, so may be dirty like Hans says, crushed ductwork, clogged intake screens, may be low on refrigerant....one question, if you set the thermostat high enough that you are sure it should cycle off, does it or does it just keep on going after reaching set point.Good luck man.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 23rd, 2018, 1:26 pm

Definitely an airflow issue. As others have said, make sure the air is not blocked, on either the return or in any of the supply ducts. Hoses can be crushed inside cabinets or going through bends, or you may have inadvertently closed one or more of the vents (sometimes they just vibrate closed). If you have an adjustable fan speed setting, set it for a little higher speed.

Topic author Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » July 23rd, 2018, 5:52 pm

As Hans knows me, the first week I bought the boat, I removed the ac filters (grilles) and vacuumed all around. The flow of air coming out of the vents is fantastic. The only air this receives is from under the lower front drawer area in front of the bed. Not enough if you ask me. The only solution I see is installing a high volume fan directed at the evap itself.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 23rd, 2018, 6:14 pm

pepmyster wrote:Source of the post As Hans knows me, the first week I bought the boat, I removed the ac filters (grilles) and vacuumed all around. The flow of air coming out of the vents is fantastic. The only air this receives is from under the lower front drawer area in front of the bed. Not enough if you ask me. The only solution I see is installing a high volume fan directed at the evap itself.

Prop open the bed or whatever you can to increase the air intake and see if the extra opening solves your issue. If not then you may be low on freon.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » July 23rd, 2018, 6:47 pm

The air conditioning produces great cool air, I mean ,great! It's going to have be air flow. Great discussion!!!!!

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 23rd, 2018, 6:58 pm

Low freon freon will cause it to get too cold an ice up but like I said, try opening up something to increase the intake area.

Improper operating refrigerant pressures, too low: surprisingly to the novice, too little refrigerant in the system can actually drop the temperature in the cooling coil below its normal operating range; that's why we mention at FROST BUILD-UP on AIR CONDITIONER COILS that a cause of coil frosting in the air handler might be an early sign of a refrigerant leak.

See here.https://inspectapedia.com/aircond/Refri ... charge.php
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » July 24th, 2018, 7:01 am

Ran it all night, no frosting. I did adjust the thermostat so it would cycle more on and off. Not just try to turn the room into a freezer.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”