Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

shower sump quality

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: carver mariner 350

shower sump quality

Postby amanphoto » July 25th, 2018, 7:49 pm

I need top replace the shower sump in my Carver. We use the shower all the time and thus shower sump gets used a lot also. I replaced the float last year with the most robust looking one at West Marine. The new float has failed with less then a year of service. All the shower sumps I've looked at seam kind of cheep. Is there a shower sump that is made to be used on a daily base? What sump is made for a large boat.

ps. I only have one shower that empties into this sump.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: shower sump quality

Postby tomschauer » July 25th, 2018, 7:58 pm

In my opinion, Johnson pumps makes the best one. However, I have found if you use the shower on a regular basis, plan to open it and clean it at least every other month, maybe more if more than one person with long hair (wife) uses it.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 25th, 2018, 8:15 pm

Mine has been alright however when things start to go wrong I will install what I believe is the ultimate. Problem is a small spinning impeller fouls with hair, soap scum and the like and so does the float.

Using a similar pump design that a vacuflush uses, a whale pump will never have these issues. It,s a diphram pump with duckbills. Easy to service/rebuild and can pump big pieces without issue. They use a sensor as opposed to a float which is also more reliable. When you look at it all it is is a box, a pump and a float/sensor. Not all that cheap but you do get piece of mind and dependavility. https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?na ... id=4318492
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » July 25th, 2018, 8:28 pm

Hans, I heard about the whale pumps and told they are bullet proof, but I am also told they are harder to clean, and they still need cleaned or you get the nasty old soap and mildew smell coming up through your shower drains and ac unit.

Just what I heard. Not personal experience.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 25th, 2018, 8:41 pm

I have no experience either but if you consider the pump is mounted outside therefor servicing it should be easy and clean. Now look at this and you will see how easy they are to service. Cannot see why they would require frequent servicing just looking at the simplicity. Checked out the service kit and they are sub $40.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » July 25th, 2018, 8:58 pm

I would think the "stink" would come from the reservoir, not the pump. But if it doesn't have a screen to hold the hair etc. maybe consistent hot water flushes would prevent the smell?

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 25th, 2018, 9:21 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post I would think the "stink" would come from the reservoir, not the pump. But if it doesn't have a screen to hold the hair etc. maybe consistent hot water flushes would prevent the smell?

I agree, the reservoir is where any smell will come from. The diaphram pump will suck up the hair and all and pump it overboard, not so on any impeller type pump. Cleaning the reservoir should be a snap since there is nothing in there as the float/sensor is part of the cap. Open the top cap and dump fresh water in until clean. So far the system does seem superior to anything else. Looking at buying the reservoir/sensor at defender https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pa ... id=4410618

The gulper 220 pump on Amazon for a total savings of about $100. https://www.amazon.com/Whale-Marine-BP1552-Gulper-220/dp/B000FHQL5G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532567884&sr=8-1&keywords=gulper+220

Same reservoir, same pump, should bolt right on to the brass threaded inserts.

Here is a PDF of the reservoir specs. https://www.whalepumps.com/marine/siteFiles/resources/docs/resource-library/datasheets/cmcc_pshaw_Grey_Waste_Tank_EU_v2_0118.PDF
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author United States of America
amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: carver mariner 350

Postby amanphoto » July 26th, 2018, 10:36 am

I clean my sump on regular intervals. I don't have a problem with soap scum or hair clogging the system. The float switch hailed on mine. This is the third float switch that has failed. I've replaced two float switches on the sump on this boat and one on a friends boat.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 26th, 2018, 11:59 am

After mucho though I will make my own this winter. Too many hoses going into mine that would need to be extended and not much room to work. 1 sink, 2 AC units and the shower. Will post pictures as I proceed. Will use the old as a model for hose locations so hoses will fit as is, make the tank a little larger out of stainless steel. Will use a see through twist on round inspection port on top for cleaning purposes. Will use a Whale 220 pump along with their floatless switch. Will mount the pump in a convenient place for servicing.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 31st, 2018, 3:03 pm

Checked everything out this weekend while at the boat. No go with the custom tank. first off I have no less than 5 hoses going into my unit and 1 exiting. Even Carver had to modify the exiting rule unit to suit by adding 2 bulkhead fittings to the tank to accommodate all the requirements. This is not the issue though, my concern is the GPH of the Whale pump which is only 222 gph compared to the existing unit which is 800 so almost 4 times the flow difference. I am concerned the soap scum/crud will dribble down the hull which such low flow as oppose to shooting out like it does now. Bottom line is a complete replacement rule unit including pump and float is about $100 and does perform well so I will be going this route. https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?p ... &id=680799 Just need to use the 2 bulkhead fittings Carver custom installed on the existing unit on the new one and all should be well. Upon inspection I was surprised to see how clean it was after almost 2 1/2 full seasons of use. So clean I did not bother to clean it.

A new unit, a spare pump and float on board should cover all bases.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”