Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Fresh Water Tank Leak

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Fresh Water Tank Leak

Postby g36 » August 23rd, 2018, 2:35 pm

I had to replace mine in my 405 when I first purchased. Don't know what your tank is but this was the oem that carver had put in when my 405 when built. I called and ordered from them i had them move the ports around for what I wanted they seemed very nice to deal with.

https://www.trioniccorp.com/marine-wate ... aste-tank/
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 23rd, 2018, 10:09 pm

Interesting , I had originally assumed the original tank was plastic ,.... well for sure I would replace it with a plastic water tank, I have bought trionic tanks before, they were just fine....now you get to choose what size fits in the space, make one out of cardboard to check fit, if using a different size than original before ordering.... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 23rd, 2018, 10:54 pm

I also assumed it was a plastic tank. Even my old 1988 had plastic water and waste tanks.

Topic author United States of America
ronmar
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1993 350 Aft Cabin

Postby ronmar » September 18th, 2018, 4:04 pm

I have old tank out, and getting ready to place an order for a new plastic tank. Picture attached shows how tank came out of the boat. My question, since I'm not the original owner, and not sure if someone changed or modified, is re filler hose connection. Currently it is at the bottom left of tank and fills from the bottom. There is no stand pipe in side of tank. Is this correct? It seems when you fill from filler tube that water would begin to blow back up the tube as tank water began to rise. Since I have not been able to use current tank because of corrosion I cannot vouch it was working or not.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » September 18th, 2018, 4:31 pm

I think generally the fill is from the top and you take water from the bottom end center approx......would that fit your config ( room ) if you had the tank fill at the top.?....do you only have the one fresh water tank on board or the setup with two tanks split....?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

ronmar
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby ronmar » September 18th, 2018, 6:14 pm

I have a 93 350 Aft Cabin with a single 70 gallon aluminum tank located under bed in aft cabin. The tank is 70 gallon and is 51"L X 20"W X 16"H

thumbnail.jpg

All the plastic tanks found have slightly different fitting configurations. They come with two 1/2" female fittings and two 1 1/2" fittings.
trionic_water_waste_holding_tank_200_new.jpg

I'm confused on which 1 1/2" fitting to use since original was at bottom of tank.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ronmar
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby ronmar » September 18th, 2018, 7:33 pm

Well, contacted Carver thinking may take a few days to get a response as well as due to age of boat not able to help too much. WRONG!!! They did respond quickly and gave me the following information:
"This is how the tank works. Both tanks would work the same way. You should be able to take the metal tank out and put the plastic tank in.
The water inlet is on the bottom left on the tank.(1-1/2”)
The water to the pump is on the bottom right.
The fitting on the top is the vent that goes out to the side of the hull. As you fill this tank it pushes the air out the top. If you over fill this it will run out the side of the boat." :-D

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » September 18th, 2018, 7:43 pm

Good stuff on Carver.....That is the way it works, consider if you have a tank with the fill at the top if possible, so then there would only be one potential leak point being at the bottom of the tank where the freshwater pump feed would be...also I believe the tank might fill faster.......just my opinion, I am sure there are others.... :beergood:

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 19th, 2018, 6:52 am

If it's doable, I'd recommend moving the inlet to the top or top end of the tank. It's one less submerged connection point/fitting. I don't see many set up that way anymore unless there is a connection between two tanks so the levels even out...that's how mine are.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » September 19th, 2018, 7:19 am

if you choose , trionic will custom make it however you tell them and agree the less fittings submerged the better, less chances of this occurring again
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”