Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

350 Mariner Fresh water leak

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

United States of America
amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: carver mariner 350

Re: 350 Mariner Fresh water leak

Postby amanphoto » October 4th, 2018, 8:34 am

Have you physically felt all the water connections? It may not appear wet, but a supper fine stream of water may be spraying from the connection and hitting somewhere else. A friends Sea Ray has a very tiny leak on his hot water tank and it was hitting the transom.

I didn’t see it mentioned. You’ve checked all your sea stained lids and sea cocks?

Have you checked your fresh water tank for a leak?

Topic author United States of America
650Guy
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 2003 Carver 396 Motor Yatch
370 Cummins

Postby 650Guy » October 12th, 2018, 4:38 pm

Thanks All, Sorry for the slow reply. I was out of town, but today I'm back at the boat and going to dig in some more.

So I'm going to start with turning off the shore water, then turn on the onboard pressure tank and wait for a pump cycle. I do lean towards the fresh water system as I will drain the entire fwd bilge and shut off the Shore water. When I return the next weekend, the bilge is still empty, yet once I arrive, and turn on the water... in time, it starts to fill again. Grrrrrrrr....

650Guy
Captain
Captain
370 Cummins

Postby 650Guy » October 15th, 2018, 2:36 pm

Hey All;

So a weekend worth of work. Here is what I have:

[list=]* Water line from dock connection to main pump dry
* bay under the holding tank, and gray water tank from the toilet is dry
* drained the water from the fwd bilge - turned everything off for the night, returned next day (about 18 hours) things remain dry.
* Ac/Heat was turned on and the heat is operating as its cold here in Cleveland.
* water at the dock is turned off, water pump is turned on but about 1 hour into working.
* pump cycles about 1 time an hour. To me that does not seem completely unreasonable? does it? I mean I would anticipate SOME bleed down of the pressure by nature, wouldn't you?

So now I'm wondering, could my A/C unit be causing this? the connection at the through hull is dry, the sea cock and strainer are tight and dry? everything aft of the bulkhead by area 1 is dry as a popcorn fart...

I'm really confused!
[img][image][/image][/img]
[/list]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 15th, 2018, 3:16 pm

Howdy......the fresh water pump cycling would be the giveaway here Imo......once an hour, not normal....how long does it run before shutting off at pressure when this cycling occurs?. I have the same boat and there are water lines running up to the bridge that could leak into just the forward section.....get it dry and put some paper towels down on each side forward there to see what side its coming from.

Is your vacuflush raw water feed or fresh ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » October 15th, 2018, 6:05 pm

I agree, my water pump never cycles and never has in any of my boats.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

650Guy
Captain
Captain
370 Cummins

Postby 650Guy » October 16th, 2018, 7:26 pm

So my vacu-flush uses fresh water, not sea water. I should note, I can find and follow the line from the main feed to the vacuum-flush and it is dry.

I am now totally convinced that the fresh water supply is the culprit.

I have narrowed down the leak to the highlighted area... its directly under the V-birth bed. I'm just at a loss on how to change the line? access under the V-birth bed is extremely limited to no access at all. [image][/image]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

650Guy
Captain
Captain
370 Cummins

Postby 650Guy » October 27th, 2018, 10:55 am

Quick update:

So here is my plan! I found the location of the leak, but its 1 of 2 lines, hot/cold. I'm leaning towards cold as I have taken the advise of a previous post and as the water accumulates in the bay, it seems to be cold, not warm/hot. To narrow it down more, I have purchased a SharkBite cap, and will terminate the water at the split from the vacu-flush toilet before it heads to the Abis of under the V-birth. If I cap the cold and it continues to fill, well then it is probably the hot... if I cap the hot and it continues to fill... ANYONE WANT TO BUY A 350 MARINER!?!?!?! hahaha! just kidding, I'll figure it out.

Once I narrow down which line it is, I have a coupler that I bough that fits inside the line. I will use it to connect the new line and feed from the main bay (in the galley outside the lav) through the hull and up to the faucet in the lav. I'm PRAYING they did not get fancy and add an elbow or something crazy like that in the area I have highlighted in the previous post. I'm really hoping that is just a bend in the flexible line as it is under the V-Birth and getting at that might be... no it IS an issue.

I will try and update with pictures as I go in case anyone else runs into this same issue... maybe my pain, is someone else gain!

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » October 28th, 2018, 7:52 am

Sounds like a good plan, can you see an of these lines through the access storage panels under the V-Berth? You may have to remove a screwed in panel to gain access. Hopefully the lines are PEX and they didn't use any elbows and just made sweep loops. Can you see the connection ends of these lines to make sure you don't have just a loose fitting? Good Luck man, you'll get it!
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

650Guy
Captain
Captain
370 Cummins

Postby 650Guy » October 28th, 2018, 8:46 am

I cannot find any access panel under the V-birth that gives access to the water lines. I have looked and looked, but found nothing? In an odd twist, my show now has almost no pressure? have not even started the project and now I wonder if the issue is between the sink and shower? Or could be a double issue, shower valve is going bad AND water leak?

Dang I hate water issues!!!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 28th, 2018, 10:07 am

If you haven't yet, remove the shower wand from the connection and see what you get with just the hose. Same at the head sink, remove the screen from the faucet if there is one , sometimes they get quite clogged.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”