Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Fresh Water Pump

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Fresh Water Pump

Postby Viper » February 22nd, 2021, 9:11 am

The pump on the 355 is way more accessible than my 3807. Mine is under a little hatch about 6" by 10" which is under the last step leading down to the galley. You have to squeeze your head under the step to see what you're doing with the one hand you can get in the opening. The plan is to upgrade the pump but installing it on the other side of the bulkhead for easy access in the engine compartment.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » February 22nd, 2021, 10:45 am

I second the suggestion to take it apart and clean it. I've done that with several with great results. With many you can even buy new head parts instead of replacing the whole thing.

I've also gone the replacement route too, and got burned. Put in a very nice "soft start" pump to replace my old one and it failed not too long after warranty ran out. It was expensive too.

What you buy new may not necessarily be better than what you have, nor last longer. You have to do some assessment of what you're starting with.

United States of America
gmac98004
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Proud new owner - '98 355 Aft Cabin "Invictus"
6BT5.9M 210hp
Formerly - 1986 - 30' Newport MKIII

Postby gmac98004 » February 22nd, 2021, 12:41 pm

Hi Everyone,

I appreciate all the comments thus far.

I've done a lot of fussing and cleaning around my 355 and I've never seen a dock side water inlet. Where would it be located on a 355?

Lastly, could a failing or not pristine rubber gasket on the port side standard water tank fill cap be a root cause?

All your help is wonderful!

Stay Safe, Greg

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » February 22nd, 2021, 3:04 pm

For the dockside water it should be on the starboard side of the boat a couple feet above the surface of the swim platform. Just above the transom shower if you have one of those.

And, no, the fill cap will have no effect on the pump operation.

United States of America
gmac98004
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
6BT5.9M 210hp

Postby gmac98004 » March 7th, 2021, 7:37 pm

Hello Team!

I have some updates on my crazy fresh water pump installation:

1. Bought a virtually like for like Shurflo pump to replace the LOUD and potentially defective original unit. (4138-111-E65. 3GPM, 55PSI)
2. Access to the pump was actually easier than I anticipated. The approx. 20” x 20” removable panel in the aft cabin wall provided just enough room for me to get access and removed/install.
3. The pump was installed only about 6” from that panel, so although tight, allowed me to get good vision of the area as well.
4. After some fuss and far too much overthinking, the unit was fully installed and worked.
5. Unit no longer pumps every 5 minutes when faucets are not in use!
6. Unit is quieter than previous unit. Using my decibel meter app, old unit ran at about 53db and new unit runs at about 48db.
7. No significant leaks detected…….initially.

The systems runs with pretty good water flow. But when a faucet is opened, there is air trying to work its way out of the system. Some huffing and puffing. I’ve purged all lines including vacuflush systems A LOT…and at various times! Water tank is about 1/3 full, so there is plenty of water in the system.

After leaving the pump on overnight, I noticed a drip in the white PVC 90 degree connection from the pump to the PEX. (Photo is of old unit but I’m leaving that PEX in place for simplicity and to rule out any flaws.) I’ve tightened that connection at the pump to the point I can’t turn any longer and fear of breaking a connection. I’m hoping that my air problem is related to that leak.

I know Shurflo is very keen on ensuring that connections to their pump are hand tightened.

So my question to the group is, what fitting and tactic should I use to remove and replace that 90 degree connection and ensure a leak free pump? I’ve looked at a lot of elbows online and I’m not certain if any of them are actually made to work with a PEX to a threaded male connection. I've looked at a lot of connections and am thinking of something like this. But would it work on PEX?

https://www.westmarine.com/shurflo--por ... 32_002_002

Would love to use the Shurflo wingnut design to make it a tool free install/uninstall but will take what works well.

Thanks for listening to my story and hopefully I can knock it out this week!

Stay Safe, Greg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » March 8th, 2021, 5:11 am

Pretty sure those older elbows were meant for 15mm tube as opposed to 1/2' PEX seen in the picture. That being said, this looks like it would work, at least the PEX side will. https://www.acehardware.com/departments ... gs/4165684

Air in the system is never on the pressure side as it is flowing pressurized pumped water, if there is a leak on the pressure side, it will drip water not suck air.

Air can be caused by 2 things, a leak in the suction side or cavitation. I see you have a small filter on the intake side. Is this a coarse enough filter to prevent restrictions? Is it clean? If the answer to any of those 2 was no then this is most likely your problem. Those filters are meant for large particles such as pieces of teflon tape, and usually consist of a rather large screen a little smaller than your typical window bug screen. If this filter is replaced with a finer one, there will be issues of cavitation. Rule of thumb is to never restrict flow on any pump intake. ;-)
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 8th, 2021, 8:22 am

Just to add, looking at the pics it looks like the factory screen filter on the suction side, it needs to be clean and the lid fitted correctly as there is an O ring seal there.....I would lose the double clamps....they are just not needed there and can actually create leaks if on fittings not designed for them.

I know you said you have flushed all lines....both sides hot and cold, transom shower etc etc. Fill your water tank just in case your gage reading is off.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » March 8th, 2021, 8:53 am

What thread sealant did you use?
Teflon tape?
If you didn't try some, or a bit of silicone on the threads.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » March 8th, 2021, 1:03 pm

Is the pump inlet higher than the water level in the tank? If so, then it's REALLY important that all those connections between the tank and pump are sealed good. They won't leak out water if they're higher than the current water level, but will leak in air, as the pump has to pull the water UP from the tank. My pump was actually located BELOW the bottom of the tank, so this was not an issue for me.

United States of America
gmac98004
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
6BT5.9M 210hp

Postby gmac98004 » March 8th, 2021, 1:36 pm

Hi Team,

Just a few clarifications from your questions above.

1. The pump inlet is nearly exactly the same location as the factory location. (within a ½”). So don’t think that would be the cause of my issue.
2. I just called Shurflo, and spoke with the tech rep. The new strainer I put in line to replace the original bulb type strainer is exactly what they recommend, so they don’t think that would be a likely cause.
3. Lastly, in order to replace the white 90 degree elbow with the part that Midnightsun recommends, would I need a PEX expander flairing tool to do that???

All of your help is tremendous and I’m so grateful. Hopefully we can get this conquered!

Take Care, Greg

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”