Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Define CLF code in laymen's term

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Define CLF code in laymen's term

Postby Midnightsun » November 24th, 2018, 6:01 am

Cooler wrote:Source of the post mjk1040 - yes, the code returned after cleaning out the strainer.

viper - thanks for the evaporator info. I believe the unit is mounted under that galley counter top. Have to figure out how to access to check that evaporator out. That could very well be the issue because I know the previous owner never looked at that unit. Chances are, the unit was not cleaned since new. When I had water coming out of the discharge during cooling, it did seem to be a good volume. When the CLF code is on, no water. When the heat is on, the discharge seems fine and normal. Thanks all!

Any advice on how to access unit?

Pretty sure your problem lies there. After 23+ years it must be packed restricting airflow to almost nothing. Probably freezes up in no time and then throws the CLF code. The additional water flow after cleaning the strainer helped by providing a little more cooling but the clogged evaporator will win every time. AC units usually are mounted near their intake vent that can be unscrewed to access cleaning the evaporator, should not be that difficult to access IMHO.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 24th, 2018, 10:42 am

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post When the CLF code is on, no water. When the heat is on, the discharge seems fine and normal. Thanks all!

So this info begs a question....is the cooling water pump still running when there is no water coming from the discharge or has it been shut down by the error code? Seems to me that if there is sufficient water during the heat cycle there would be just the same during cooling. .....I guess what I am getting at would be , is the pump off because of the fault or did the pump go off thereby causing the fault....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » November 24th, 2018, 12:53 pm

Normally any error will shut down the system including the water pump. Sometimes the fan continues to operate but that is about it.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 24th, 2018, 1:56 pm

Sorry Hans, was really just posing a question based on the original point Cooler brought up about the water flow, I know you did not write that, just looks like that though....but in this case I think the sequence of how the pump gets to be off is very important.... :-D
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » November 24th, 2018, 1:59 pm

I noticed that but since I knew the answer figured might as well throw it out there. :-D
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » November 27th, 2018, 6:42 pm

Well...here is an embarrassing turn of events. Finally found the access to the A/C unit to check on that evaporator filter as suggested by Viper. I sure hope I never have to replace the unit. All galley counter cabinets would have to come out. Anyway....there is some dust/dirt, so I will clean that up. BUT, I also discover that the admiral stored a bag of rags right in front of the panel that had 4, 2 inch air holes cut in for air flow intake. Result - air intake severely restricted. I am 99% sure this was the issue, but I will have to wait till May 2019 to test out. New request for advice ----how do I "ask" the admiral to keep that area clear, without getting my rear end handed to me? Think I will just check that cabinet each time I crank up the A/C. Hope I did not cause any collateral damage. Thanks all, especially Viper.
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » November 28th, 2018, 5:42 am

Not embarrassing at all, simply part of the learning curve of your new boat which we all go through and believe me it you are not done yet!

Sometimes boat manufacturers fall asleep while designing things which may be the case with your AC vent. I would look long and hard to see if I could open up a standard size register hole in an accessible not to mention area not likely to be blocked by storage. I would also install home style el cheapo furnace filter material cut to size directly behind or onto it for easy replacement every couple of years which would seriously help in keeping the evaporator clean. In fact, this is how my aft cabin unit is set up from the factory. ;-)

Something like this. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/FKL6625 ... 42ab1222f5
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 28th, 2018, 7:09 am

Nothing to be embarrassed about. We've all been there. If nothing else, it has illustrated the need to keep certain areas clear. I can't tell you how many times I go on boats and find things stored where there should be nothing, like unsecured anchors in front of the steering hardware.

My high level advise, is to stay clear of the Admiral's wrath and relocate the intake as Hans mentioned. It'll be one less thing to worry about later and probably lead to a more efficient unit.

Hope this is all that's wrong with it. Let us know after Spring launch.

Topic author United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » November 28th, 2018, 6:49 pm

Great advice guys! Unfortunately, no way to relocate an additional intake. Location of the unit is really a head scratcher. When I was digging around under the sink space, I just happened to notice a couple of hinges on what appeared to be an internal wall. Reaching around, I felt a common door latch. Slid the door latch back and Voila! That internal wall swung down to expose the top half of the A/C unit. Hard to clearly explain the location of the unit, but it was obviously determined by someone who did not anticipate the need to ever replace the unit itself. There is a preliminary filter in front of the evaporator, so that did keep the actual evap fins clean. That filter just slips up & out. One thing I learned, those units really need a lot of free air around them. Thanks again!
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » November 29th, 2018, 2:59 am

The A/C on my 3007 is an aftermarket add on. The unit is located in a compartment under the galley sink. I am thinking that a factory install would have been in another location. It does work and it works well. To access the grill for cleaning I have to move the sofa bed and remove the grill. Fortunately the grill stays relatively clean. I check it a couple of times per season.

On most boats unless you get a yacht most of the things one may need to work on are challenging to get to.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”