Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

'99 404 CPMY Hot Water Heater leaks, must replace - how do I get it out?

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
tweenislands
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 'TweenIslands is a 1999 404 CPMY with black canvas enclosures. She's powered by twin Cummins 6BTA 330's. Currently berthed at Lulu's Homeport Marina in Gulf Shores.

'99 404 CPMY Hot Water Heater leaks, must replace - how do I get it out?

Postby tweenislands » February 2nd, 2019, 11:39 am

The galvanized steel hot water heater in my 1999 404 cpmy (the 355 design with a cockpit) sprung a leak we can't repair. I bypassed it for the time being but we can't live without hot water, and must replace it. The issue is removing and replacing. It is installed under the dinette forward, starboard. Just aft of it is the forward vacuum generator for the vacuflush in the forward head, and just forward of it, under the dinette seat, is the forward AC unit.

Has anyone figured out how to get an old water heater out and a new one back in for this model Carver? Google searches are coming up empty. I did find one entry on this forum, for a 355 model - same layout - but it didn't conclude how to do it.

I wonder if I can remove, or loosen and slide back, the vacuflush vacuum generator and get it done.
2003 Malibu Response LXI 335 Monsoon inboard
1999 Carver 404 CPMY twin Cummins 330 diesels

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: '99 404 CPMY Hot Water Heater leaks, must replace - how do I get it out?

Postby tomschauer » February 2nd, 2019, 6:53 pm

I fortunately haven't had to replace mine yet. On my 355 I have plenty of room to work on it, but to remove it I believe I would need to move or remove the A/C unit. I don't have vacuflush, so not sure how that fits into the mix.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » February 3rd, 2019, 11:02 am

I expect you already thought of this but.....have you determined where the leak originates? If it is the heating element seal or one of the fittings, that would be a way to avoid removal. I am speaking from my experience with the nylon connectors failing once in a while, and one heating element seal leak. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
AaHubb
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: '99 404 CPMY
my twin diesel pusher

Postby AaHubb » February 3rd, 2019, 11:19 am

Sorry can't help. My 404 only has the water heater there so lots of room. I do have a question for you though. How the heck did Carver run the ducts from the AC?

..Aaron
'99 404 CPMY
SeaDragon

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 3rd, 2019, 11:58 am

There were a couple of different layouts of the hardware in that compartment. Depending on your configuration, you'll have to remove the vaccum generator or the AC unit or both. If I remember correctly, in a few cases, the mounting bracket on the far side of the tank was a pain to get at. Look for an access hatch on the floor inside the bench above the unit, it may help getting to some of the hardware and fasteners.

tweenislands
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 'TweenIslands is a 1999 404 CPMY with black canvas enclosures. She's powered by twin Cummins 6BTA 330's. Currently berthed at Lulu's Homeport Marina in Gulf Shores.

Postby tweenislands » February 3rd, 2019, 7:34 pm

Very helpful, folks - thanks for the help. "Cooler", I did check out the fittings and element, and it appeared the leak was coming instead from the bottom corners, both of which had some corrosion. However, it's worth another careful check. We were anchored out when it happened and when we returned, I simply bypassed the tank so we'd have water. In the process of that quick patch I confirmed the plastic fittings were sound, but I'll double check everything carefully before ordering my replacement tank.

"Viper", I'll look for that access panel. That could be a big help. I'll start by removing the vacuum generator and hope that gets it. It'll be three weeks before I can get back down to the boat - we live in Arkansas and keep her in Gulf Shores - but I'll post updates with pix at that time.

Louis

United States of America
miketenzer@gmail.com
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver 404

Postby miketenzer@gmail.com » July 19th, 2023, 4:49 pm

I hope this triggers a response. This is my first post on the forum. Just moved a board a 1999 Carver 404. My water heater leak is exactly as you described. What ended up happening! You promised to follow up :-) :captain

tweenislands
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby tweenislands » July 19th, 2023, 11:38 pm

I did say I’d follow up… I think I was so relieved at getting it completed that I went straight to the bar. Lol.
What happened is I bought the same Whale brand hot water heater, and was able to get it into the enclosure and hooked up after a lot of trouble and a little bit of finagling. First, we drained the old hot water heater. Of course, then my wife and I managed to struggle it out of the enclosure. Getting the new one in was more difficult, so we decided to enlarge the opening just a bit. We used a saw to trim around the edges, leaving enough to put the hatch, cover back on securely, but giving us about another half to 3/4 of an inch. we still had to get a precise angle going in to put the new hot water heater in the small space beside the vacuum flush pump
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
miketenzer@gmail.com
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver 404

Postby miketenzer@gmail.com » January 5th, 2024, 8:16 am

Thanks so much for the pictures and the info. And sorry for the belated reply. Happy New Year. I've been at the bar :-) now I have to figure out how to repair the swim platform I snapped off with my supposedly light aluminum high field dinghy!

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » January 5th, 2024, 12:13 pm

[quote="miketenzer@gmail.com"]Source of the post Thanks so much for the pictures and the info. And sorry for the belated reply. Happy New Year. I've been at the bar :-) now I have to figure out how to repair the swim platform I snapped off with my supposedly light aluminum high field dinghy![/quote]

I want to hear that story too!! Keep us updated (with PICS!) on that project!

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”