Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Potable Water Made Drinkable

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Potable Water Made Drinkable

Postby Midnightsun » June 10th, 2019, 3:47 pm

Not many drink their water on board however I have done so on all my boats. Never has anyone been ill or felt bad and this includes all my guests on board so I must be doing something right. ;-)

Key here is to disinfect/sanitize the system which means all lines and the tank which is rather easy. Best way when the water heater is bypassed as this will do both hot and cold lines. I normally just add some water to my tank then add about 2 cups of liquid chlorine and then fill the tank full again. Once full I open each faucet long enough to get the chlorine water into the line which I do at every tap, both hot and cold one after the other. Doing so allows the chlorine into all the lines to kill any nasties in there. Some people go one step further an add an ounce of chlorine every time they fill water, I personally do not. This should be done every spring when starting the season or twice a year if you are year round boater.

Normally you will smell the chlorine at the faucet. Once they are all done I wait to the next day before I empty the tank. Fill the tank and empty it again by opening up the faucets, both hot and cold all around. Once empty fill up with fresh water again and empty again. Normally the chlorine smell is almost gone but if it still bothers you another round of rinse should do it.

Now for filtration, not that it is required but your water will taste like bottled water so yes I highly recommend it. Standard house filter 2.5" x 10" are the most common and therefor cheapest so this is the best route IMHO. I use 2 of these. https://www.amazon.com/Watts-WH-LD-Premier-Filtration-System/dp/B000E78XH6/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=watts+water+filter&qid=1560195017&s=gateway&sr=8-4 Reason I like these is the top twists to allow bypass/off/filter, basically like a built in valve.

The filters supplied are not the ones you want as those are strictly sediment filters, my preference is 10 micron carbon. I normally buy in larger quantities as you need not worry every year plus it is much cheaper. https://www.amazon.com/Baleen-Filters-Performance-Cartridge-CB-25-1010/dp/B071GPN3HF/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=coconut+carbon+filters&qid=1560195248&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

This is a picture I snapped of my assembly last Saturday.

Last edited by Midnightsun on June 10th, 2019, 8:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: Potable Water Made Drinkable

Postby mjk1040 » June 10th, 2019, 4:21 pm

Hans; FYI bleach has never been tested by any agency to my knowledge and thus no one can tell you what all is in bleach. I know we assume it's just chlorine but, is it? The Dept. of Health here in NY would not let me use chlorax bleach or any household bleach to sanitize my water hauling tank for potable water supplying. I had to go to a pool or water plant and get certified chlorine. I do like the filter system and think is a great addition!
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » June 10th, 2019, 4:56 pm

Substituted chlorine/liquid chorine in places I had bleach just to be on the safe side. ;-)

Looks like bleach is not a problem. https://www.epa.gov/ground-water-and-dr ... king-water
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 10th, 2019, 5:56 pm

So after shocking the tank and lines etc.....are you filling and flushing the system with city water , do you use an RO somewhere in this ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » June 10th, 2019, 6:08 pm

City water is all I use, never saw the need for RO water unless your city water is crap. There is an assumption the water you are putting into the tank is potable, those filters will take out sediment and any strange tastes or odours, they will not make undrinkable water drinkable such as a dedicated RO system.

By the way, a single filter is all that is really needed, like always I tend to go overboard on most of my stuff. :-D
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » June 11th, 2019, 3:22 pm

When doing the spring commissioning, I do something very similar. However, I do one more step. Once the system is full, I run a hose from the galley sink to the fill port on deck, then let both the hot and cold water run. This cycles water through most of the lines and back to the tank circulating it. Then I drain it all out and fill with fresh water.

I have not added a filter but have often considered one just for the galley sink.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”