Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Toilet waste (liquid) exiting out the air vent

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
Ozark Carver
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1984 Carver 3207 Aft Cabin

Toilet waste (liquid) exiting out the air vent

Postby Ozark Carver » September 19th, 2019, 8:30 pm

1984 3207 Aft Cabin has always had good working toilets until this last couple weeks
All at once when the toilets are flushed no fresh water enters the toilet and the (liquid) exits the boat on the port side
from what I think is the vent tube??
At the same time no fresh water enters the boat when on shore water.---and that's only when hooked up to shore water.
We almost never turn on the water pump nor use the holding tank and up until this recent even had no problem dry
flushing the toilets while under way as we never have put any solids in the toilets at all in the 5 yrs we've owned the boat.
Can anyone see anything obvious in whats happening?
Is it that the toilets only pull fresh water from the holding tanks regardless of being hooked up to shore water?
Tight quarters down there and would love some ideas before I go down and get myself jambed down in there !!

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Re: Toilet waste (liquid) exiting out the air vent

Postby Tireless » September 19th, 2019, 9:06 pm

I had a 1986 Carver 3207 and the water to flush toilets came from the lake, not the fresh water tanks. Check to see if the sea cox is open or there is a blockage. Is it a hand pump toilet?

When stuff comes out the vent thru hull fitting, that usually means it is full and needs to be pumped out. If that is the case, it needs to be flushed out and cleaned. First check to see if there is a vent line charcoal filter, in that case it needs to be removed before the flush out. If filter has exposed to stuff or water it will need to be replaced.

Do you get shore water to your taps and other fixtures?

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » September 20th, 2019, 6:32 am

Agreed, coming out the vent means tank is over full, needs to be pumped out ASAP. You will also need to address the vent and filter if you have one.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Ozark Carver
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Ozark Carver » September 20th, 2019, 7:09 am

I will recheck the tank as it was pumped out recently but I never confirmed the pump out was completed.
That seems embarrassingly simple and makes total sense. Thank you for the replies and I will confirm this weekend !!
I appreciate it !

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » September 20th, 2019, 10:48 am

If you have an electric head, Raritan brand, your flush water source is most likely your holding tank. Raritan recommended that type of installation to discourage seaweed from entering the intake and clogging up the macerator. You will need at least some water in your holding tank to flush, fresh water from dock will not go to water holding tank. You absolutely need a pump out. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » September 20th, 2019, 10:50 am

What may have happened is, the last pump out you did, the person pumped out the water tank instead of the waste tank. That's why, all of a sudden you have no water in the holding tank, but your head is still full. The two caps are near each other. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 20th, 2019, 11:29 am

Cooler wrote:Source of the post What may have happened is, the last pump out you did, the person pumped out the water tank instead of the waste tank. That's why, all of a sudden you have no water in the holding tank, but your head is still full. The two caps are near each other. 8-) er

OMG, if that's the case I would bleach out the potable water system. Can't imagine what might have been on the hose adapter that was screwed into the wrong cap! I never thought about that possibility, but it makes me glad that on my boat the pumpouts are on the port side and the potable water fill is on the starboard side!

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » September 23rd, 2019, 10:45 am

Yea, I know what you mean. It depends on what the facility uses as pump out connections. Some do not have connectors, just a flexible end nozzle piece. Those are the types that dock hands hate because they can spray icky stuff all over. I did have this error happen when I pumped out once, but it was a dock hand in training. He said the discharge was completely clear, which got my attention that he pumped water, and the connector was also a different size. So no common connector with the waste flange. My caps are also separated by port and starboard location, but right at the bow, so they are only about a foot apart. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » September 23rd, 2019, 11:19 am

One way to help stop that sort of thing is to make sure all your tank caps have their chains attached except for the waste and paint the background of the cap label black, makes it stand out.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Ozark Carver
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Ozark Carver » October 2nd, 2019, 7:10 pm

Thanks to everyone - mystery has been solved
All theories were correct in some degree or another.
The sea-cocs were never opened from summarization, as the boat was under gen set removal and replacement over the summer and was overlooked... thus no water was being introduced to the flush system.
The last pump out was not successful back on July as I find out the marina pump out system was not working well.
End result was as described by everyone and 100+% full waste tanks and it just a case of me not even considering they
had not been emptied when I last had the pump out done.
The toilets had been back flushing out the vent as there was just no where else for it to go.
Fortunately the boat's use was very low this summer and had very low toilet use.

All in all things seem to be doing as they should now.
Thanks again for the helpful advise and I am glad I joined this club for sure !!!
(Next is the gen-set continuation of problems which I see are talked about a lot on this site)
Best to all and thanks again !
-Ozark

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”