Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Unbelievable!!!

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
sloopjonb
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 455

Unbelievable!!!

Postby sloopjonb » November 25th, 2019, 7:40 pm

We had not used the forward head shower since buying our Carver 455 this summer. So, Maria goes in, grabs the handheld shower handle from the top of the tub, and as she pulls it out including the flexible hose, it separates from the handle and the entire hose falls back into the hole and into the bowels below the tub. This is when I discover that there is no way to get into that area - no access from the engine room, no access in the head or forward berth...NOTHING!!! What the hell? Did Carver think that no one would ever need access to plumbing parts?

The only thing I can think to do is cut like a 4" hole on the side of the tub near the control valve to be able to reach the hose where is connects to the control valve, then add a watertight deck plate to seal it back up. Does anyone have any other ideas? - Sloopjonb

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Unbelievable!!!

Postby bud37 » November 25th, 2019, 8:30 pm

The hole might actually be useful later on and the thing is those access ports are not so noticeable after a while ,....but for now, and you may have done this,... check in the salon for wall panels, access panels behind seat cushions etc, if there is a wall that is behind the shower cabinet.

I had the same happen with a wire once that disappeared, had to take lots apart to get the end back. Good luck with it.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

sloopjonb
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby sloopjonb » November 25th, 2019, 10:13 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post The hole might actually be useful later on and the thing is those access ports are not so noticeable after a while ,....but for now, and you may have done this,... check in the salon for wall panels, access panels behind seat cushions etc, if there is a wall that is behind the shower cabinet.

I had the same happen with a wire once that disappeared, had to take lots apart to get the end back. Good luck with it.

Thanks! I have searched, and there's no way in from anywhere. I think you're right in that the access hole may prove useful in changing out the hose from the control valve. Hopefully, I'll place it well. Yikes!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 25th, 2019, 10:28 pm

Just spitballing here, but considering the end of that hose is connected to the taps, is it possible to fish thru the hole it fell thru and pull it back up with a coat hangar or something like that ? Not really sure what the fixture looks like.

edit ... to add, is it possible to remove the fixture as a whole ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » November 26th, 2019, 1:19 am

Keep us posted. We would definitely like to know how you solve the issue.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » November 26th, 2019, 5:31 am

Wow! What a puzzle!! Good luck with this one!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 26th, 2019, 6:42 am

Have you looked on the outside of the hull around the shower area? If you're lucky, there may be a vent or other hardware mounted close by that you can remove and access the area.

Is there a mirror close by that you can remove and cut a hole behind it that would then be covered by the mirror, or a cupboard that you can cut a hole in so the access port isn't so noticeable later?

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » November 26th, 2019, 8:08 am

I thought the same regarding access to most places on my boat. Over the years by servicing and doing modifications I have found there is a way to almost every area on the boat. Problem is it is not documented and you need to find it on your own or ask questions like you are doing on this forum. Call Carver and ask to speak to Brian. His knowledge is amazing as he was involved with the actual build of many models and can most likely help you out. I know he knew the nooks and crannies of my 41cmy in detail. ;-)
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » November 26th, 2019, 11:01 am

Yep, call Carver per Hans suggestion. Have your hull # handy and he can access the actual build out log. Carver almost always provided some type of access, but did not make it easy to find. Sometimes that access is integrated right into the cosmetic design. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

sloopjonb
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby sloopjonb » November 26th, 2019, 1:28 pm

Thanks Everybody! I think speaking to Brian at Carver is a great idea - I think he's the same guy who answers when I'm seeking parts. He may have some idea, cuz I'm out of them. I did buy a low cost borescope and fished it down there. I could a sections of the damned hose, but that didn't help me get it out, it's way down there. I don't see anything outside that would provide access. I'll get back to you all, but it won't be for awhile as I had to get back Northeast for work until January. Thanks again everyone!

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”