Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Restoring Seaward Princess Electric/alcohol Cooktop

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
Dusty Bilges
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 300 Sedan

Restoring Seaward Princess Electric/alcohol Cooktop

Postby Dusty Bilges » November 30th, 2019, 4:22 pm

Last Spring acquired a 1993 Carver 300 Sedan and am determined to have it operating like the day it was born. We are making great progress, but the most important thing on the boat according to my bride, the Seward Princess electric/alcohol cook top, either doesn't work, or I am not smart enough to figure out how to work it. I would like to rebuild it and am hoping someone out there can point me towards a source of parts, or to someone who will rebuild it for us.

It may be that the alcohol stove just needs maintenance, but I assume that means replaceable parts. Hopefully I'm wrong about that. The burners don't get hot enough. Are they replaceable? By the way, are they running 240 or 120?

Thanks!

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Re: Restoring Seaward Princess Electric/alcohol Cooktop

Postby Cooler » December 1st, 2019, 11:36 am

Dusty - they run on 120. Also, there is a contact switch on the unit that needs to be engaged so the unit will operate correctly. It is part of the top that pops up. Make sure that connection is clean so the cook top is not turning off & on while in use. Otherwise, just contact Seward and they should have that parts info and possibly a dealer that rebuilds them in your area. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Dusty Bilges
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Dusty Bilges » December 1st, 2019, 12:36 pm

Thanks, Cooler.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » December 1st, 2019, 1:35 pm

https://www.suremarineservice.com/Galle ... 72400.html

They seem to have all of the parts.
If the burner elements don't seem to get hot enough, there is a chance someone replaced the 120v elements with 240v elements, effectively cutting them from 550 watts to 225 watts.

Dusty Bilges
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Dusty Bilges » March 26th, 2021, 1:59 pm

I am now replying to my own post to advise that the electrical portion of the Seward princess stove top is up and running, however, I cannot get the alcohol burners to work. I have looked high and low on the internet and can't find a company that sells parts for that particular stove top for the alcohol burner section. I would appreciate some advice on how I can get this running. Does it sound like gaskets? If so, should I take it apart and replace them? Is the stove hard to remove from the boat? Is there a trick to lighting them and keeping them lit?

Dusty Bilges

Liechtenstein
chpsk8
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver Aft Cabin Motor Yacht... Hull #001

Postby chpsk8 » March 27th, 2021, 10:40 am

Can you elaborate on what the problem is and what you have tried?
Do you have a model number for the stove?

Also, what was wrong with the electrical portion of the stove? How did you fix it? Good for us all to learn from what you did.

Dusty Bilges
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Dusty Bilges » April 1st, 2021, 7:00 pm

The electrical elements had a ridiculously easy cure. The the detents in the two knobs were worn down so you never knew where you were. Turn it to high, but you're really on low. So I had a nice glass of port wine and thought about it, played with it, pulled off the knobs, bought two new knobs online and now the whole boat smells like garlic all the time.

The alcohol burners - I pumped. I followed the instructions printed on the unit and in the manual. Won't stay lit. Don't have access to the model number right now, but it's the one where you have two electric elements on a top which lifts straight up revealing the two alcohol burners underneath. This really hurts because I actually love alcohol burners. Sailed my little Seafarer sloop from San Diego to Hilo and that's all I had to cook with and that was just fine.

United States of America
Beufort
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 86’ montego 26.

Postby Beufort » April 2nd, 2021, 7:44 pm

Just got mine working, I misunderstood what the primer grove was, and wasn’t getting the thing hot enough to stay lit, there is a small recessed area below the burner, not the whole bowl, just the area right around where the burner is mounted, needs to be bout 3/4 full of alcohol and lit to heat the burner, don’t try to light the burner until it has all most burned all the alcohol in the primer grove, its gonna make some sizzling noises, but it will be fine. I have to admit, i took mine out and got it working on some saw horses, just in case. Saw horses are usually cheaper to replace than boats.

Dusty Bilges
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Dusty Bilges » April 3rd, 2021, 11:40 am

Thanks for encouraging me to try one more thing before I take out to tinker with it.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”