Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Looking for a new AC unit... what brand would you go with?

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Looking for a new AC unit... what brand would you go with?

Postby Midnightsun » March 5th, 2020, 4:29 am

I will again vouch for MarinAire as I have been dealing with them for close to 10 years now. Parts and service are second to none.

Real life says an AC unit after 15 to 20 years is toast. Yes you can replace a part but usually it is rather expensive but the rest of the unit is also getting tired and will need replacement in the short term. I have seen over the years on boating forums people trying to repair refrigerators and AC units that are rather old. The proprietary board and most parts are often discontinued unless they were carried over into the new model and this is from the major top brands such as Domotic, Mermaid and Webasto.

Try this whatever you choose. Call them and try to get info regarding trouble shooting or parts availability. Lie if you have to and ask how long it will take to get a new control board or compressor. Then decide if this is the brand you want to have in your boat.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 5th, 2020, 6:52 am

Totally agree Hans. I used to be in refrigeration in a previous life, and that was before you had to worry about electronic components and software. Swapping a board and dealing with software versions is one thing but IMO once you break into the refrigeration circuit, it's a crap shoot, the system may last for another 10 years or more but it may also last for only a week. Who does the work, the components they use, their equipment and practices, and the condition of the rest of the hardware all make a difference.

Topic author United States of America
JvilleJeremy68
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 Carver 57 Voyager Sky Lounge

Postby JvilleJeremy68 » March 5th, 2020, 10:21 am

Very good advice guys... that's another important part of the situation... going to check into the supporting dealer networks, and see how quick they'd be to respond should I have an issue... thanks gents

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » March 5th, 2020, 11:57 am

I can tell you that there is nothing proprietary to mermaid hvac unit or control box and their ac thermostats which you have choices of what to use not just one choice. . There is nothing but standard relays and capacitors and standard hvac parts and any ac person marine or home could repair and replace. And with a 5 year warranty how much more can you ask for. That's what I do know about mermaid. If you have any problems you will actually call and speak to a actual tech that's building them not just somebody reading a book.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Topic author United States of America
JvilleJeremy68
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 Carver 57 Voyager Sky Lounge

Postby JvilleJeremy68 » March 5th, 2020, 2:08 pm

I have heard about Mermaid's solid support before... believe they're located in SW Florida

United States of America
Bryon857
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2002 carver 350 mariner

Postby Bryon857 » March 5th, 2020, 6:27 pm

I will second Marinaire, put 16000 in my 350 Mariner I love it. Showed it to a friend on the dock, he ordered 2 for his Carver and is very happy. Also, the customer service is top notch.

Canada
darrenlife
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 410 Sport Sedan

Postby darrenlife » March 7th, 2020, 2:26 pm

I also may need to have one of my Dometics replace and considering the Marinaire.

My question is can I install one Marinaire while the other three existing units are Dometic? Ie; will the new Marinaire unit call for the water pump to come on using the same pump as the Dometic units?

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » March 7th, 2020, 2:59 pm

I have 3 units on board with a single central pump. All AC units simply send 110v to the circulation pump so there is no issue even if you mix brands. In fact, I installed my first MarineAire in the aft cabin and then went almost and entire season before replacing the other 2 with MarinAires. No issue with different brands working together. ;-)
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: Temporarily Boatless

Postby Helmsman » March 8th, 2020, 11:43 pm

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post I have 3 units on board with a single central pump. All AC units simply send 110v to the circulation pump so there is no issue even if you mix brands. In fact, I installed my first MarineAire in the aft cabin and then went almost and entire season before replacing the other 2 with MarinAires. No issue with different brands working together. ;-)

Was it difficult to replace the pre-existing system with the new Marinaires?

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » March 9th, 2020, 5:24 am

Not at all. Biggest challenge was the drain tube location refit as in my case it was directly through the floor. Also the thermostat wire on my original was a what looked like cat5 and the new looked identical, well it did not work and I needed to use the one that came with the MarinAire. In the aft I had a 7000btu stock and upgraded to 9000btu. I had to fabricate a new plenum adapter due to the very limited space I had but it all worked out.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”