Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Winterizing A/C

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Winterizing A/C

Postby tonyiiiafl » March 9th, 2020, 5:15 am

I believe this was mentioned before, but I usually winterize my A/C by opening the strainer and pouring pink stuff in while i. Is running to push it through the system. kind of a PITA because the strainer goes dry and have to wait for the pump to pick up again. I thought I saw a post here that someone put a 3 way ball valve on and opened it to allow the pink to be pumped by a separate pump through the system?

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Winterizing A/C

Postby Midnightsun » March 9th, 2020, 5:36 am

I had the same problem and looked for a way to do it on the hard as opposed to needing to run the AC pump.

This is what I cobbled together which works wonderfully and is now part of my Winterizing Kit. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4486&p=32968&hilit=pink+pump#p32968

A 3 way valve would not work on mine as I have 3 AC units. The pump feeds a manifold that supplies each unit. Problem with a multi valve is it selects only one outlet and therefor cannot supply to all which is required for normal AC use.
Last edited by Midnightsun on March 9th, 2020, 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Postby tonyiiiafl » March 9th, 2020, 6:52 am

Something as I was thinking. Mine comes in through the strainer to the pump, then the there is a tee to split to both units. I like what you did, and need to put it in design.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » March 9th, 2020, 7:14 am

It works really well. I did go back and change the link to the pump in the how to post to an active one. The pump is less than $20 delivered.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » March 16th, 2020, 2:19 pm

I started to winterize my 2 unit system while on the 'hard'. I tried various techniques through the years but this seems to be the best for me. Although its a 2 person job, I can accomplish it pretty easily and it gets the job done.
Pink is poured into the strainer. Outside the boat your mate uses a Wetvac at each of the thru hulls pulling the antifreeze through the system. Once they see pink you're done.
In the spring, I 'prime' the system using a wetvac at the dock only this time pulling raw water. I only have to do this at one of the thru hulls and voila, its primed!

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » March 17th, 2020, 10:31 am

I used to put the pink in the strainer and then I was taught and easier way to winterize my A/C on the hard. It is very simple and I have not had an issue.

1) Close the through hull fitting and ensure the strainer cap is still on. You need a closed system.
2) Using a compresser, blow compressed air through the forward through hull exhaust fitting. This should remove all the water and push it out the other through hull fittings, normally there are one or two near the aft depending on how many A/C units you have. Push compressed air through until there is no more water coming out.
3) Open the strainer cap and vacuum the water out of the strainer.
4) If on the hard, open and close the sea cox to remove the water. If you are still in the water, do this after you are on the hard to ensure there is no water near your ball valve.
5) Fill a 5 gallon pail with pink and put a small submersible pump (1/6 HP) in the pail. Using a hose attached to the top of the submersible, pump the pink through the same forward though hull exhaust fitting until the pink flows consistently out of the other through hull exhaust fittings.
6) I then blow the system out again with compressed air to get rid of the pink. I have been told you don't have to do this, but I do it anyway.
7) Remove the strainer cap to check for pink and open the ball valve after you are finished and on the hard.

I have made special attachments with shut offs and ends to push the air/non-tox through the hull fitting. These are a pressure fitting at the hull that I hold on as I have yet to find some that actually attaches to the fitting. I simply used a barbed fitting with a little electrical tape on the contact point to help make a seal on the fitting.

This system has worked for me and my friends over the last four years with no issue. I have also seen mechanics do it this way. I prefer to do it on the hard this way as I have better access and you don't need shore power, just 15 amp plug.

There are many ways to winterize A/C, all good, but this is my preferred way and I thought I would share with you. It may work for you.

Greg

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”