Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Shower Sump

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
Danpmart
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 355 AC

Shower Sump

Postby Danpmart » June 7th, 2020, 9:29 am

Good Morning,
I have a 1997 355AC and the shower sump is not working. Checked with a volt meter and I'm not getting any power. I reset all of the breakers and they all appear to be working. Is there a switch or GFCI that the pump may be wired to? We had a bunch of kids on the boat yesterday so anything is possible..

Thanks,

Dan

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Shower Sump

Postby Viper » June 7th, 2020, 9:36 am

If you have power after the breaker, there should be power at the sump unless there is a break in the wiring or bad/loose harness plug if applicable. Are you sure there isn't power there and it's just a faulty float switch or pump?

Topic author United States of America
Danpmart
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 355 AC

Postby Danpmart » June 7th, 2020, 9:47 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post If you have power after the breaker, there should be power at the sump unless there is a break in the wiring or bad/loose harness plug if applicable. Are you sure there isn't power there and it's just a faulty float switch or pump?

I checked it with a volt meter. I'm not getting anything to the pump. I even made a fresh cut inside the Sleeve and tested it there.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » June 7th, 2020, 9:47 am

Those float switches fail frequently. If you replace, make sure you get a low profile switch, similar to the switch there. Otherwise, the switch gets caught on the bottom of the strainer before it gets high enough to turn on. A universal float switch will not work. The OEM switch for that sump was an Attwood, gray color, low profile. Should be around $40. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » June 7th, 2020, 9:53 am

Electrically, the entry point is to the switch first, if you're getting power to the switch but not the pump with the float in the up position, it's a float failure which is pretty common with some brands.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » June 7th, 2020, 10:00 am

You do see the individual breaker for the shower, correct? I know this is a goofy question, but I thought the head breaker was the one for the shower also. That was when I first got the boat. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » June 7th, 2020, 10:55 am

I believe the breakers for those are under the bottom cabin entrance step. You may have the rockers or push button type. No GFCI applies.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » June 7th, 2020, 7:21 pm

Viper is correct. The shower sump breakers are under the bottom step next to the battery switch.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » June 8th, 2020, 6:43 am

Info above is spot on, limit switch is probably dead. Good time to remove the pump and switch, clean the pump and shower box throughly, replace limit switch. The amount of soap scum and crud that these things see it is not surprising that they need regular attention to be trouble free. I do both of mine every year, clean throughly that is otherwise you will have issues. Unfortunately the boat is full of things that need attention every season and most overlook until there is an issue. Preventative maintenance!
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”