Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Vacuflush switch on power board

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
BKB73
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1985 carver Riviera

Vacuflush switch on power board

Postby BKB73 » June 12th, 2020, 4:26 pm

Hey all! having an issue...I've been trying to diagnose vacuflush not functioning...realized today the switch on power center for turning system circuit on is shutting itself off...is that equivalent to blowing a breaker? The vacuflush works while switch is on, but the switch will only stay in the on position for between 20 seconds to a minute (time varies). Trying to figure out if there is likely a problem with toilet, or if a warn out switch is possible? Am I correct in thinking these switches work like a breaker in a home panel? Very glad I don't have to tear into the vac system (yet)! But dont really want to burn the boat down either..this question my be in the wrong category...I'm a fng...so apologies
Keep the shiny side up!
Brian

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Vacuflush switch on power board

Postby Viper » June 12th, 2020, 11:20 pm

Yes the switches on the power panel are actually breakers. If it keeps tripping, there's a problem. Either the breaker is getting weak, or there is a high current draw which could be the result of a wiring problem such as a poor connection, or a problem with the pump or its motor. Bad contacts on the vacuum switch will cause a higher current draw as well. The vacuum generator can take up to a couple of minutes to generate rated vacuum before it shuts off, so it's likely tripping during pump operation.

BKB73
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby BKB73 » June 13th, 2020, 10:03 am

Thanks viper, I figured out yesterday that its not the switch itself...I swapped out with another 10a switch from the panel and had the same problem. I've read that a clog can cause this, or worn out duclbills...what doesn't makes sense to me about that being the problem is for the short time the switch stays on, the toilet flushes ok...then switch trips again...so it's not backed up. I'll be checking connections today. Unfortunate part of the 28ft Riviera is all furniture must be pulled to access eng compartment...so couldn't check that yesterday
Keep the shiny side up!
Brian

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 13th, 2020, 9:22 pm

The Riviera isn't the easiest model to get at the engine compartment but don't let that discourage you. I haven't worked on a Riviera in years but I remember it being difficult, having said that, I've run into much worse access then that on some other brand models. At least with some work you can get to the top of the engines, in some cases, there are no hatches at all right above the engines, just a middle hatch and the floor about 3 inches above the carbs. Now that's a pain! :banghead:

BKB73
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby BKB73 » June 18th, 2020, 1:37 pm

Viper, I'm sure! There actually is pretty good access, you just have to get the platform and furniture out...they may all fit up on the back sundeck, haven't tried yet. Hopefully I wont need to get down there while under way! No big deal with two people to lift the bench seats...not easy at all by yourself! Cheers!
Keep the shiny side up!
Brian

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”