Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver 444 Shower leak

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
Michclay
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 444 cockpit motor yacht

Carver 444 Shower leak

Postby Michclay » June 30th, 2020, 9:20 am

We've recently purchased a 2004 Carver 444. After using the shower a few times without issue, we are starting to notice a rust color water leaking from where the master shower meets the bathroom floor. THere is some caulking there and it seems to be leaking from a crack in the caulking. Any ideas on what could be leaking? Suggestions on how to fix? Thank you in advanced for your help.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Carver 444 Shower leak

Postby g36 » June 30th, 2020, 11:16 am

If theres a issue with the caulk you can cut out the old and reseal with new. No big deal at all to diy.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Topic author United States of America
Michclay
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 444 cockpit motor yacht

Postby Michclay » June 30th, 2020, 12:28 pm

Thank you for your response. We should be able to do the caulking ourselves, but I'm concerned about sealing it if the leak is from something other than it simply dripping out from our shower. The water that is leaking out is rust colored so that has me concerned.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » June 30th, 2020, 2:44 pm

It could be that the leak has filled up a cavity or area under the shower and sat there and now the additional water from the recent shower has pushed out the old water that is discolored. If there any hatches around I would lift them up and look for any water that may have collected etc. There's several options for silicone caulk for tubs some with mildew resistance.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » June 30th, 2020, 8:14 pm

Can you maybe attach a photo of the area of concern, it may help us. As said any access hatches and a spy camera on your phone would give you a picture of what's happening there. I'm a fan of the flex seal products. :beergood:
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » June 30th, 2020, 10:18 pm

I just fixed the same problem in my 44. Inspect the caulking between the door and the shower floor. Mine had a crack in it. I removed all the caulking and put a new, good quality tub and tile caulking. No need for the 3m 4200 or better for this job.

The previous owner of my boat also caulked the seam between the door and the bathroom floor. This only prevents the water leaking from you shower from coming onto the bathroom floor. That doesn’t stop the leak, but prevents the water from coming onto the bathroom floor until it starts to leak over time, like yours and mine did.

I removed this caulking from the bathroom floor and did not replace it. Now that I have recaulked the inside the shower it no longer leaks and the Admiral is very happy.

Greg

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”