Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

3207 forward AC location

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
emunstar
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1991 Carver 3207 Aft Cabin

3207 forward AC location

Postby emunstar » August 9th, 2020, 10:08 pm

I’ve got a 1991 3207 aft cabin which I believe originally had three AC units. Forward, mid and aft as designated by the factory labels on my breaker panel.

Currently I have a 16,000 BTU unit midship beside the refrigerator and a 6,000 BTU in the aft cabin.

Does anyone know where the forward unit would be located in a factory install?

Thanks in advance!

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Re: 3207 forward AC location

Postby buster53 » August 10th, 2020, 9:09 am

A couple of things...is your main unit vented into the forward cabin? I would thing 16k is big enough to handle both the salon and forward cabin. Your boat probably struggles on a hot, sunny day, but once the sun starts to set, you have more than enough BTU's to keep comfortable

I wouldn't be concerned with the location of the factory installed unit. What is important is where can you install it? Anything installed during the building process can be easy. Installation AFTER the boat is built can be a real bear.

So, look around. Where will a small unit fit? If installed in the forward cabin, do you need to run a vent? Do you need a separate water pump or can you tie into the existing water pump? I assume you have one pump for the 2 units you have now.

I have a 356 which is quite a bit larger than the 3207. I have 2 units, a 16 for main and forward cabin and a 12 for the aft with a vent into the salon.

Topic author United States of America
emunstar
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1991 Carver 3207 Aft Cabin

Postby emunstar » August 10th, 2020, 1:18 pm

buster53,

The mid ship 16,000 BTU unit ducts to the v berth and the main salon. Both the mid ship and the aft units are serviced by a single water pump.

The aft 6,000 BTU unit ducts to the aft head, the aft cabin and the main salon.

I'm still interested in the factory installed forward location so I can investigate for signs of a unit that no longer exists.

It definitely struggles in the Texas heat, but I have plans to make some curtains to replace whats missing in all the windows as well as weather seal the entry to the salon so its not a giant air leak.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » August 10th, 2020, 3:21 pm

Look around...there are only so many places it could be installed. Most likely, under the bed and I would say that underneath a dinette seat is also a likely place, but you don't have a dinette.

If there was one at some time, there would be obvious evidence...ducts, vents, air return, electrical wiring, cooling water piping, etc. just because there is a breaker for a 3rd unit, doesn't mean there was one. Breaker panels always have room for extra breakers for additional options.

On my 356, one is under the aft berth, the other under the dinette seat. I used to have a 3807 with 3 units. One each under each berth and one under the companionway steps.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”