Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

water in bow

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
RWS
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1987 3607 aft

water in bow

Postby RWS » September 7th, 2020, 2:04 am

I have a 1987 3706 aft cabin. the bow haul seems to always have a few inches of water in it. My shower box pump sits the middle of this canal and the auto belie pump is under the galley steps closer to the center of the boat. I can see how when running not on plane with nose up how the water could flow back to the auto pump. Do must find water in this location and what can be done to reduce it or laminate it?

Thank you for your help ,
RWS

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: water in bow

Postby Viper » September 7th, 2020, 9:28 am

Have you ruled out rain water coming through the anchor rope locker. If it drains into the bilge instead of overboard, that is a possible source. There are several possibilities though ranging from a water system leak, through hull fitting, discharge hose, air conditioner condensate, etc. etc.

When you’re on board, and you are using your on board water from your tank, do you hear your water pump click on for a second even though you’re not running any water? If it kicks in periodically, you likely have a system leak or bad check valve.

When you vacuum out ALL the water, how long does it take to get to that level? Have you had rainy days? Does it happen with the water system shut off while you’re away on week days or only when you’re aboard? Take measures to narrow down when it’s happening. To do that, vacuum it all out first then go from there. I would do that last before you leave for the week and check as soon as you get back before you turn on the water system.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » September 7th, 2020, 9:31 am

There's some low profile pumps out there like this which would remove it.... https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 1Fs9SB8600
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
bobcinga
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2006 CMY 41

Postby bobcinga » September 7th, 2020, 1:10 pm

Could it be coming from your anchor chain or line? Is the space dry, then wet after you haul up your anchor?

RWS
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby RWS » September 7th, 2020, 6:16 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions, they give me a list to start from. I don't think I have fresh water leak, I've had one of those and know the click on click off sure sign, plus I turn the fresh water pump off when not on board. I think my rope holes go into my anchor box, not positive but will check. If so it is possible they are letting water into anchor box which does have a drain hole out of boat. But I haven't check to see if the drain hole has got clogged with anchor mud again, it did once before. We have haven't been to the boat for 6 weeks when I noticed it. I've hand drained it before and it slowly comes back. We have had a lot more than normal rain this August here in east Tn and not running the boat has left it flat and not allowed water to flow to bilge pump . Seems like an odd location to have the pump so far towards the center of the boat but I guess when in motion it's a good place.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 7th, 2020, 6:50 pm

When your boat is on plane is the best time to hit the manual switch for that forward pump, as any water in there will run back to the pump. It may not be enough to trigger the float switch.

Could you have the shower sump overflowing?

On my 3607, the rode locker under the fwd berth drains into the bilge. Does yours really have an overboard drain? It could also drain into the shower sump (which is probably the perferred method), but on mine it goes directly to that forward bilge.

RWS
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby RWS » November 8th, 2020, 8:31 pm

After looking into this I have come to this conclusion, My forward shower pump has had both the forward and salon AC drain lines plumbed into it. I have a drain hose that is just laying there with an open end by my shower box and goes forward to what I think is thur hole, I'm thinking it was the the salon AC drain originally, Is it possible that water is splashing through the thur hole when I'm hitting certain wave heights. Also where did the former forward drain line go? Does anyone know where the thur holes are for the salon ac and forward AC's are for a 1987, 3607?

Liechtenstein
chpsk8
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver Aft Cabin Motor Yacht... Hull #001

Postby chpsk8 » November 8th, 2020, 9:45 pm

I don’t think your through hull would produce the amount of water you are finding.
Are you sure the shower bilge pump is working?
One thing to check is the hose between the water tank and the pump. If that has a defect it won’t kick the water pump on, but will still leak.
I’m assuming you have an aft, mid and forward bilge pump. Have you found any water in the mid bilge? That water would move to the forward bilge under the right circumstances.

RWS
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby RWS » November 9th, 2020, 9:29 am

I will check the water line before the pump, it's a small amount of water .

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » November 9th, 2020, 11:17 am

Sounds to me like your sump box pump is not working and that condensate is overflowing out of the box. Check the float first to see if that burned out or is not low profile enough to turn the pump on. You need the flat profile Atwood float to stay under the hair filter. If the float is OK, then check the pump. Those AC units generate a lot of condensation in Cool setting. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”