Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

What do you use the water for?

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author Canada
SunsetSteve
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 83 Carver Riviera 28
76 Albin 25 (outgoing)

What do you use the water for?

Postby SunsetSteve » November 3rd, 2020, 7:56 pm

Our new-to-us Riviera holds 80 gallons (300 litres) of fresh water, and 160 gallons (600 litres) of fuel. I assume we get similar range as other dual-engine Carvers with this fuel. This kind of boating is new to us - our experience with the Albin 25 was with very economical fuel consumption (36 hp diesel, 7 kts) and bottled water.
My questions:
1. what do you use the water for? I am thinking - washing up, showers, cooking . . . but drinking? Is dockside water supply and 40 year old holding tanks/tubing to be trusted for drinking unboiled water? (not by my wife, no way, whatever your answer might be lol) Or do you bring a few jugs aboard strictly for drinking? What is normal?

2. What sore of range to expect with conservative speeds with this sort of gas storage? Twin 220s btw.

Just wondering what to expect when we finally launch in the spring.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: What do you use the water for?

Postby bud37 » November 3rd, 2020, 8:16 pm

We always brought bottled water....you can clean everything and install filters and uv light system which some have done.

Here is a GPH calculator, just plug in your stuff and it will be close. Hull speed for you will be no more that 6 knots ( approx 1500 to 1600 rpm) and on plane cruise probably around 2800 to 3100 Rpm from what I remember ( had a boat with the exact same hull as yours). Just calculate your range based on the numbers you come up with.

https://www.boat-fuel-economy.com/fuel- ... calculator
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » November 3rd, 2020, 10:18 pm

The water is for dish washing, people washing, cooking, etc. I clean and sanitize our fresh water system, but do not use it for drinking water. The only reason is because of the quality, or lack thereof, of the dockside water used to fill the tank.
We always have bottled water for drinking.
Your twin gas Carver will be a bit of a "shock" with the fuel burn, but you will get from A to B in less than 1/3 time if you desire.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 4th, 2020, 12:59 pm

We've definitely used our potable tank for drinking and cooking water, as well as regular washing and showers. I replaced all the ~38 year old lines with PEX a couple decades ago and make sure we sanitize the system every spring. We do also have bottle water on board too, for the convenience of having it cold (in the fridge or cooler) and carrying around.

At the dock we are usually connected directly to city water, so the potable tank is used only away from port.

You will go through a lot more fuel with gas than the old diesel, but you will now have the option to get on plane and get places faster if you wish.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » November 4th, 2020, 2:58 pm

Drink it all the time however the water from the marina is potable in my case as well as all marinas in my area that I know of. I do properly sanitize the tank and lines every spring and run a dual cartridge filtration system. Been drinking on board water in all my boats for over 20 years and never an issue.

Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » November 5th, 2020, 10:47 am

Fir what it is worth, that link Bud provided is dead on with my fuel consumption. Your consumption may be a little more because that Riv is a heavy boat. I never consume water stored in holding tank. I do consume water when hooked up to dock, but would run a gallon through first, and always use a marine designed water hose as equipment. That hose is made with an inner layer that resists bacteria and mold/mildew. That Riv is a really nice boat for comfort and room! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Topic author Canada
SunsetSteve
First Mate
First Mate
76 Albin 25 (outgoing)

Postby SunsetSteve » November 6th, 2020, 7:30 am

The replies are pretty much as I anticipated. I don't think our boat has a dockside water intake system - at least I haven't located an intake thing aside from the filler cap on deck. My marina has municipal water at the dock, and a small filtered extra-potable water thing available near the office to fill drinking water bottles. So . . . makes one think.

The living space and features on this boat far exceed that of my old Albin 25 diesel, and we are excited to begin enjoying her in the spring. Just now the Riviera is in my yard waiting for the shrink wrapper and a decision on a new name ("Open Water" doesn't have the excitement/adventure level that I want!). :captain:

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » November 7th, 2020, 11:06 am

Steve, it would be strange if you do not have a shore water connection, especially on a Riv which is designed for live aboard. Call Carver with your hull # and they can tell you if that connection is installed, and where it is. Sometimes they get confused with the washdown system, if there is one of those. Sometimes they are in some pretty obscure places. Good luck! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » November 7th, 2020, 11:09 am

If you can't get in touch with them (Covid), just provide your hull #, and I can drive out to the factory and check it our for you. I live about 12 miles from the main plant/office. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake

Topic author Canada
SunsetSteve
First Mate
First Mate
76 Albin 25 (outgoing)

Postby SunsetSteve » November 7th, 2020, 12:11 pm

Than you Cooler - very generous of you.
I will try calling Carver but just in case, HIN is CDR800039182-83

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”