Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Heater not heating above 72

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
Captdoug
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 42 SS 2006

Heater not heating above 72

Postby Captdoug » February 13th, 2021, 12:37 am

My 2006 42SS heater was working fine. When the heater came on water came out the three over board holes. How there’s no water coming out and the heater runs all the time trying to get to the temperature set on the thermostat. I checked the CB and all where on except the AC water pressure pump. I turned it on and it pumped water out a different hole. I left it on hoping it would help the heater. After about an hour I turned it off because it didn’t help.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Heater not heating above 72

Postby tomschauer » February 13th, 2021, 1:29 am

Water should be coming out of all three discharge "holes"
You should start by checking and cleaning the inlet strainer before the ac pump. If that's clean, you need to clean all of the lines and heat exchangers.
If you don't have any flow, you wont have any heat, or A/C.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » February 13th, 2021, 9:46 am

Yes totally agree with the water flow above. Depending on the unit the lack of water flow may have caused the compressor to have a pressure fault and may require a reset. That may mean pushing a button on a pressure switch near the unit (mine is like this) or disconnecting the power at the breaker and then turning it back on or other . But the water flow has to be corrected regardless
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 13th, 2021, 9:48 am

I'm surprised that for that vintage you didn't get a fault code and auto shut down as is usually the case in the absence of raw water after a while. It's also puzzling that the discharge would be coming out of a different hole. That would lead me to believe that you're overlooking something or that the main line from the pump or a fitting has failed and your bilge is filling up with water causing the bilge pump to come on, hense the discharge from a different hole! You should confirm that this isn't the case.

If you're sure the AC pump is running but no water coming out of the AC discharge fittings, maybe it's as simple as needing to prime the pump. You also need to ensure that all the strainer is clear as Tom mentioned. Also make sure the air intake screens and evaporators are clean as dirty ones will affect efficiency.

Captdoug
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Captdoug » February 13th, 2021, 11:18 am

I cleaned the screen but the boat is out of the water for bottom paint so won’t be able to see if that fixes it until it’s back in the water. I’m still confused why water would come out a different hole when the CB is turned on.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » February 13th, 2021, 11:34 am

Did you see my post about a possible AC system leak into the bilge and what you're seeing is the bilge pump discharging the water?

Captdoug
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Captdoug » February 13th, 2021, 5:54 pm

Yes I did see your post. I don’t see any build up of water in the bilges and water only squirts out of the wrong hole when the CB is turned on. The pump that the CB turns on is the same pump that would pump water to the AC. I’m wondering if the pump is controlled by two switches. One from the AC an one from the CB. If that’s true then why didn’t the heater work correctly when I turn it on???? Looks like I need to get my friendly AC mechanic to come check it out. Thanks for your help.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » February 13th, 2021, 6:34 pm

There should only be one breaker for the pump, at the breaker panel. What actually turns the pump on is the controller when one of the AC units turns on and calls for water. No matter what though, the discharge wouldn't be coming out of a different discharge hole. It could come out of just one instead of all three in certain conditions but not out of a hole that isn't part of the AC raw water system, which by the way in part might utilize one of the ports from a shower sump for condensate, which the sump would then drain overboard through yet again another hole.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » February 15th, 2021, 10:20 am

When you do go back in the water, try turning on the air conditioning as well as the heat. See if there is any difference.

Captdoug
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Captdoug » February 27th, 2021, 8:15 pm

All is well! Turns out the water pump lost its prime. I’m still not sure why water would come out when the AC system water pump CB was turned on. Thank you all for your in put!

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”