Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Anchor locker drainage

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
Petemait
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1983 Carver Riviera

Anchor locker drainage

Postby Petemait » May 3rd, 2021, 12:16 pm

I have a drainage question with my 1983 Riviera 2807.

The anchor and rode lockers at the bow drain directly into the bilge. A hose runs from the bottom connector and dumps right by the forward bilge pump. When there is a good rain storm, this locker catches a decent amount of water.
Does anyone know if this locker should just drain into the bilge as it is now, or should it be going to a through hull fitting overboard?
I guess it's not incredibly important either way but it is nice to have a dry bilge.
Would appreciate anyone's thoughts.

While I'm at it, i also noticed today that this forward bilge pump, pumps the water out slightly below the water line. I feel like this may be wrong?

Thank you,
Pete

1983 Riviera 2807

Boston, MA

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Anchor locker drainage

Postby km1125 » May 3rd, 2021, 12:44 pm

I would not be comfortable with a bilge pump discharge below the waterline. The only thing stopping water from coming back into the boat would be the check valves on the pump, and those check valves should only be used on positive displacement pumps. What type of pumps do you have for bilge pumps?

Also, any through-hull that exits below the waterline (or even real close to it) should have a sea valve on it. Most bilge pump discharges are usually SEVERAL inches over the waterline, up to a foot. The ones that exit less than a foot should also have a loop in the discharge hose that goes up much higher before it drops down to the discharge.

You could re-route that anchor locker drain line to a through-hull, but the discharge should have some type of a clamshell over it so that water doesn't get pushed back in there when you're bashing waves.

Petemait
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Petemait » May 4th, 2021, 10:49 am

km1125,
Thank you for your response. I am still new to the boat and was shocked to see the pump going to a below waterline through hull. That just moved to the top of the list of things to fix.
As far as the anchor locker drain, i may have to add a thru hull fitting.

Thanks again for your help.
Pete

1983 Riviera 2807

Boston, MA

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 4th, 2021, 11:34 am

Petemait wrote:Source of the post km1125,
Thank you for your response. I am still new to the boat and was shocked to see the pump going to a below waterline through hull. That just moved to the top of the list of things to fix.
As far as the anchor locker drain, i may have to add a thru hull fitting.

Thanks again for your help.

I am curious....is the pump discharge on the hull side on the boot stripe or just barely above the stripe ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Petemait
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Petemait » May 9th, 2021, 3:15 pm

The bilge does indeed pump out below the waterline. I will install a seacock. I wonder if this was the original design or a retrofit by a previous owner.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete

1983 Riviera 2807

Boston, MA

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » May 9th, 2021, 3:29 pm

is that waterline original?

the white one seems a bit oddly placed too?
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » May 9th, 2021, 3:38 pm

The white one seems placed more typical for a bilge pump.

I wonder if the black one is actually submerged when the boat is in the water. Hard to tell from the angle of the pic, but it seems like that's a part of the hull that starts sweeping up to the bow and that the waterline is a few inches below that even though the bottom paint goes up higher.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 9th, 2021, 4:56 pm

Ya I agree with KM. That fitting you're talking about seems to be above the water line. The top of the black bottom paint isn't your water line. The lower part of that that's stained is the water line from what I see.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 9th, 2021, 5:24 pm

Thats why I asked....good pic......original location is not generally in the bottom paint.....but does seem to be above the waterline mark but not high enough IMO, based on loading and if there was a leak to get started the boat would be lower in the water then and make matters worse.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Petemait
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Petemait » May 11th, 2021, 7:35 am

Thank's for everyones reply. I also realized that it might actually be at the waterline or slightly above. Either way it made me nervous and i installed a bronze seacock and i will add a loop just incase if people recommend that.

Believe it or not, the hose was directly hose clamped to the plastic through hull fitting. There was no nut on the inside so it was only the sealant holding the fitting in place. One of a few scary things i have found from previous owners.
Thanks again,
Pete

1983 Riviera 2807

Boston, MA

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”