Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1988 4207 Tank dimensions

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
19buick61
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 4207
454 Merc engines

1988 4207 Tank dimensions

Postby 19buick61 » May 3rd, 2021, 11:15 pm

Hey all I am purchasing a 1988 4207 Carver. The water tank is currently a Bladder and I want to replace it with a plastic tank. Does anyone have dimensions of the location where the fresh water tank/bladder is located? also is the floor flat or is it tapered to match the hull?
I'm also going to replace the waste tanks and hoses as the appear to be original, I also need the dimensions of them. I won't have access to the boat for about 8 days and would like to get the tanks ordered up ASAP!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: 1988 4207 Tank dimensions

Postby Viper » May 4th, 2021, 6:54 am

Welcome aboard. If you contact Carver with your hull number, they will give you supplier information and part numbers. The issue is that many tank suppliers from that era are no longer around. If that's the case, a Google search of the supplier name usually leads you to a company that has acquired the original supplier. They've usually retained the blueprints for older builds and may have the means to build the exact items you need.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » May 4th, 2021, 7:24 am

This company produced many of the carver oem tanks. https://www.trioniccorp.com/
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » May 4th, 2021, 10:03 am

If you do get the dimensions of the area and aren't concerned about getting the exact same tank sizes as it was manufactured with, then check out what greatlakesskipper has in stock. They have quite a variety of "new old stock" they bought out from manufacturers and sell them much lower. I replaced my two original Carver 40 gal waste tanks with two 34 gallon tanks. The different shape also allowed for a bunch of storage around the one tank that wasn't available before. They also ship much cheaper than most of the manufacturers. I bought and shipped two tanks for less than just the price of one brand new tank (without the shipping, which was substantial).

Canada
Peter Briden
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1987 Carver 4207

Postby Peter Briden » June 21st, 2021, 8:46 pm

I just bought an '87 4207. I'm not sure what the complete original installation looked like. When I got the boat it had a torn bladder sitting in what looked like the original fiberglass "coffin" tank. I call it a coffin because that is what it looked like, a long rectangular box with out a top and the back cut out. I don't know if the tank originally came with a top and back and was integral to containing water all by itself, or somebody did indeed modify it by cutting off the top and the back. I know the "coffin" was factory installed because there is no way to remove it except by cutting it into bits with a sawzall and pulling the bits out through the kitchen floor access, which is precisely what I did. Once removed you are left with the bottom of the V shaped hull going forward about 6 feet. It is actually a very large space. Might be useful for storage except it is also the bilge. Normally dry, if the pumps are working properly. You could still put a flexible bladder in there, no way you could put anything but a tiny hard sided tank in the space, not unless you cut up the kitchen/V berth floor area to allow installation.
I ditched the whole fresh water tank, I hate the idea of carrying around 1000+ lbs of dead weight in water so I designed an on demand water purification system using particulate, charcoal, chemical and UV filters mounted in series. I'm only exposed to fresh water so the additional complexity and expense of a reverse osmosis system was avoided. The old tank all by itself weighted close to 100lbs (I am a pilot, and pilots my nature HATE hauling around any unnecessary weight!)

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » June 22nd, 2021, 1:37 pm

Sounds like a expensive option to your old water tank, how is it working out?
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
Peter Briden
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1987 Carver 4207

Postby Peter Briden » June 23rd, 2021, 9:29 pm

So far it is working perfectly. I only use it when cruising, not at the dock. The system (filters etc.) will flow over 7 US gallons/minute, far more than the pump will supply.

United States of America
bvcllc
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver 4207 42 Ft. Two 350 HP Crusaders.

Postby bvcllc » May 27th, 2022, 2:07 pm

Peter Briden, Your older post about cutting coffin wall to get to your water bladder is exactly a problem of mine except I want to save mine but it leaks and needs a patch. I’m afraid to saws all it for fear of cutting the bladder. Do you have a picture of your work or can you tell me how far the bladder was from where you cut? Thank you for any advice or pics.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”