Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Riviera bilge question

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author Canada
SunsetSteve
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 83 Carver Riviera 28
76 Albin 25 (outgoing)

Riviera bilge question

Postby SunsetSteve » July 10th, 2021, 10:32 am

Riviera 2807: I can't seem to drain the water from the fwd bilge (under the dining table in the fwd cabin). Is it supposed to flow into the bilge btn the engines - where there is a pump? There are only 2 pump switches at the helm.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Riviera bilge question

Postby km1125 » July 10th, 2021, 10:36 am

Not sure on the 2807, but on my 83 3607 and a previous boat (Trojan), there is a bulkhead forward of the engines that had no penetrations at the bottom that would prevent any water in the bow from getting back to the engine room and the bilge pump there. The 3607 had a separate bilge pump for that forward part, but the Trojan did not (I ended up adding one).

You normally shouldn't have any water up there but (IMO) I think you should always have an emergency bilge pump in those areas anyways.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 10th, 2021, 10:58 am

SunsetSteve wrote:Source of the post Riviera 2807: I can't seem to drain the water from the fwd bilge (under the dining table in the fwd cabin). Is it supposed to flow into the bilge btn the engines - where there is a pump? There are only 2 pump switches at the helm.

Have a look under there with a mirror and flashlight....it may just be the hole that allows water movement fore and aft, if there is one, is plugged with debris from all the years. At least that way you will know for sure.

Hopefully someone with a Riv will chime in..
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Petemait
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1983 Carver Riviera

Postby Petemait » July 10th, 2021, 12:18 pm

Hey Sunset Steve,

Underneath the dining table, in the little hatch, is where you should have your forward bilge pump. It actually seems this is where most of your water will collect. You should definitely install one there as there originally was one there.

Underneath your stairs(if you have a port for access) there is a hole that connects through to the engine area. This could be clogged as bud said, but again, i think the boat pitches just slightly forward. In my riviera, sometimes the stern bilge is bone dry but there is some water up in the area you are talking about.
My forward bilge pump, pumps overboard to the port side. see if you have a through-hull that is plugged that you could run it to.
Let me know if you have any more questions.

p.s., the mid ship bilge pump i have does not connect to a switch, it is an automatic pump only connected right to the battery with an internal float.

Best,
Pete

1983 Riviera 2807

Boston, MA

Topic author Canada
SunsetSteve
First Mate
First Mate
76 Albin 25 (outgoing)

Postby SunsetSteve » July 10th, 2021, 12:31 pm

Thank you. Manual says that the fwd pump is auto only (possibly meaning the mid pump?). So no switch needed. I will have to really get in there to find (or install?) the pump for the fwd bilge. And clear the pathways. Do not need a stinky fwd cabin.

United States of America
Petemait
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1983 Carver Riviera

Postby Petemait » July 10th, 2021, 12:47 pm

I am actually going out tomorrow morning to change out the float switch on my forward pump. Funny timing on this post.
Mine is located right under the little hatch under the table. Maybe there is already some wiring in there?
I redid the wiring on mine last year. I ran the wires under the countertops and under the starboard side of the v berth then back to the pump from forward.
Pete

1983 Riviera 2807

Boston, MA

Topic author Canada
SunsetSteve
First Mate
First Mate
76 Albin 25 (outgoing)

Postby SunsetSteve » July 10th, 2021, 2:52 pm

It am at the boat. I can find no evidence of a pump or wiring. There is a.deep hole/tunnel running aft longer than I can reach. Seems to be nothing forward either.
The mid bilge pump works when I lift the float lever.
NO pump sound when i switch the helm fwd bilge pump switch to cont.
The water up front may have come from the water tanks draining as they are doing. Problem 2

Topic author Canada
SunsetSteve
First Mate
First Mate
76 Albin 25 (outgoing)

Postby SunsetSteve » July 10th, 2021, 3:14 pm

Actually it's not a tunnel. It open to a spacious water filled reservoir beneath the fwd cabin sole. There is a shit_ton of water u.der there! Which reinforces my theory of the leaking water tanks. Dont feel confident that I have the skills to install a pump system.

Topic author Canada
SunsetSteve
First Mate
First Mate
76 Albin 25 (outgoing)

Postby SunsetSteve » July 10th, 2021, 6:28 pm

I would like to know how to erase the steps to gain access to the port below. The front bottom lifts an inch and won't move further
I can't see a latch.

Topic author Canada
SunsetSteve
First Mate
First Mate
76 Albin 25 (outgoing)

Postby SunsetSteve » July 11th, 2021, 3:52 pm

More to go in this chapter book . I went with the shop vac method today in the fwd bilge. Draining the fwd bilge drew the final inch from the mid bilge as well, so the fwd bilge must be lower than the mid. I wish the reverse were true.
Now that the bulges are dry I can begin the search for the water system leak. A daunting task.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”