Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Riviera bilge question

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Canada
hcarmich
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: still looking

Re: Riviera bilge question

Postby hcarmich » July 19th, 2021, 12:00 pm

Thanks Pete, I tried that - but will try it again. If water was leaking from the tanks when the pumps run, you think you would hear it - especially since it is under pressure. Is there an outlet under the water line that it could be escaping? Thanks!

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 19th, 2021, 2:27 pm

When you're referring to "bilge", are you just referring to the engine room section?

Have you opened up all the compartments that would show the sections of bilge from the bow to the stern?

Canada
hcarmich
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby hcarmich » July 19th, 2021, 5:15 pm

Hi,

I manually kicked in the bilge pump in the bow, engine and aft - still some water in there, but nothing coming out of the outlets. Then we did the onboard water/pump. Pump cycles every 4 to 5 mins for approx 30 to 40 seconds. Shuts off, water lowers. After all water is gone, run bilge pumps, nothing more comes out of outlets....

Geezz...

Topic author Canada
SunsetSteve
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 83 Carver Riviera 28
76 Albin 25 (outgoing)

Postby SunsetSteve » July 19th, 2021, 5:27 pm

hcarmich wrote:Source of the post I am at Clarks. We just bought the 83 Riv this year. Doing a bunch of modernizing - seats etc. Did you buy yours this year and if so where did you get it? We had been looking for one for a while, so yours might be one we saw posted on kijiji etc?
Any help from you or others on our odd water problem is appreciated.

I found mine in Midland after losing one down river that was really nice. This one is nice and pretty stock except for the flat screen TV. :)
I investigated both Rivs at Clark's as I sold my old Albin from there. One with a solar overhead and one with radar and spotlights on the arch. Both very sweet. Which is you?
I am going Wednesday to practice docking and to run some more water tests. Let me know if you are going to be around, or around on the weekend.
Steve

Canada
hcarmich
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby hcarmich » July 19th, 2021, 9:37 pm

We are the one with radar and lights. Lights will be coming down, probably keep the radar. She needs a deep hull clean and wax. We have done cockpit seats, working on aft seats soon and couches below deck. She has good bones but this water issue is driving us crazy. We may go down tomorrow and try some recommendations from the previous posts. I have a forward bilge pump if you want to see it. Dock 150

Canada
hcarmich
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby hcarmich » July 20th, 2021, 7:45 am

Uncle Mike wrote:Source of the post On my Riviera, there is also small amount of water in the fdw bilge, just enough water not to have the pump to start. The fwd pump is right there under the table. I will be at my boat tonight and provide photos if needed.

I haven't check for the fwd pump but the master one (mid bilge pump) is connected directly to the battery, no switch or breaker is needed.

I was lucky to get all the original documents and technical sheets (wiring plan, etc...) with my new to me Carver Riviera 1989, let me know if I can provide you information;)

Is it possible to get these from you? Would be helpful for sure! thanks

Canada
hcarmich
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby hcarmich » July 21st, 2021, 1:35 pm

I know this is a stretch, but could there be a split in the heat exchanger - water heater and water is going out exhaust? Same problem, no solution....

tks

Topic author Canada
SunsetSteve
First Mate
First Mate
76 Albin 25 (outgoing)

Postby SunsetSteve » July 21st, 2021, 6:05 pm

Docking practice with water pump off.
Returned to the dock to see that the tanks were still full and ran the water pump - taps running well - then stbd tank drained as the pump ran steadily and did not take a rest until we shut it off.
Aft cabin bilge lots of water, fwd cabin bilge no change (it had a fair amount of water in it, possibly the heavy rain).
Pics below show (1) the overflow drain leading back to the stern (2) from the line leaving the top of the tank in the next pic, and continuing portly.
(2) large orange smooth hose exits the bottom of the tank.
(3) the front end of the tank with smaller hose leading forward.
Exhausted we left further exploration for another day. All areas around the stbd tank showed no signs of leakage.
So many hoses, so little time! Pics might or might not be in correct order) (Edit: yep, they are in reverse order).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author Canada
SunsetSteve
First Mate
First Mate
76 Albin 25 (outgoing)

Postby SunsetSteve » July 21st, 2021, 6:09 pm

I enjoyed stealthily sneaking a look at hcarmich's Riv, with its very cool upmarket seating in the mid cabin. Nice looking boat! I mean yacht!

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 21st, 2021, 9:15 pm

What you're calling "overflow" is really the tank vent. It does function as an overflow, but that's not it's intent being there.

Your problem is not at the tank... it's after the potable water pump in one of the distribution lines. Need to ferret those out to see where they go and where there might be leaking joints.

That corrugated white hose in the middle pic... That needs to be hung correctly. It should reach it's highest point on the right edge of that pic, then angle down right to the thru-hull. Having that dip in there reduces performance of that line. I'm guessing that's either a bilge pump or shower sump drain. This has NOTHING to do with the issue you're dealing with, just something that should be addressed while you have everything opened up.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”