Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Fresh Water Pump Plumbing

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
SeattleMatt
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 320 Voyager
Twin Crusader 350XLHT

Fresh Water Pump Plumbing

Postby SeattleMatt » July 14th, 2021, 9:39 pm

I've been fighting my freshwater pump for the last 3 days my body is very sore from reaching underneath things and man handling pipes.

My current dilemma is this 90° fitting that goes into the filter. I can't seem to get an angle on this to loosen it enough to get the filter off. I had to remove the entire pump and then twist it around and circles to unscrew it. Anyways what I want to do is replace this elbow with something that has fitting on both ends so that I can remove it without having to remove the entire pump assembly.

Is there an easy option for replacing this Qest elbow?
Home Depot?

IMG_20210714_181001307.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1995 Carver 320 Voyager
Twin Crusader 350XLHT

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Fresh Water Pump Plumbing

Postby km1125 » July 14th, 2021, 10:07 pm

I don't think that's a Qest elbow.... it's just a 90 degree fitting with a hose barb. Seems like this would be a nice place to adapt a pair of those quick-connect hose fittings. Just pull the sleeve back and pop it off, unscrew the screen to clean it out, then pop it back on!

United States of America
Petemait
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1983 Carver Riviera

Postby Petemait » July 15th, 2021, 8:05 am

Good call KM
Pete

1983 Riviera 2807

Boston, MA

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 15th, 2021, 8:11 am

Ya that's not a Quest elbow. Replace it with a proper Shurflo swivel elbow and that will make it easy to remove the hose end from the filter. The other thing you may want to consider is relocating the pump to a spot that's easier to access or at least mount the pump onto a backer so that it's not directly on the wall and allows you to wrap your hand around the locking half of the filter for easy removal and cleaning, or relocate the filter away from the pump. Here is the Shurflo elbow, you just need to check the barb size needed for the hose end...
https://www.pentair.com/en-us/products/business-industry/accessories/recreational-vehicle-plumbing-accessories/elbow_fittings.html?queryID=0d94f9b47454bfdeb95ea39bf49592d8&objectID=https://www.pentair.com/en-us/products/business-industry/accessories/recreational-vehicle-plumbing-accessories/elbow_fittings.html&indexName=prod_pentair_products

Quick connects are the easiest way to go but you'll have to get some adaptors to make it work. As long as the hoses and fittings are in good shape, you can retrofit to quick connect in areas that require dismantling for regular maintenance like the filter on the pump. Up north where we have to winterize which usually involves removing key hoses, quick connects make life a whole lot easier.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”