Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

3227 AC location

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
mikesparker
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1985 3227 w/Crusader 220s

3227 AC location

Postby mikesparker » November 1st, 2021, 12:46 am

Hello! Does anyone know where the AC unit is located on a 3227? Mine didn't come with it and I just got a great deal on two Mermaid 12K BTU reverse cycle units. Just wondering how the OEM AC units were set up in this model?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: 3227 AC location

Postby Viper » November 1st, 2021, 6:50 am

Do a Google search. Looks like there was one installed in the dinette bench.

mikesparker
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby mikesparker » November 1st, 2021, 2:00 pm

I did a search...that one I didn't see. I'll look again...thanks!

mikesparker
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby mikesparker » November 1st, 2021, 11:04 pm

Damned if I can't find the install you're speaking of...can you post a link, please?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » November 2nd, 2021, 7:09 am

If you look at the base of bench you'll see a vent, and on top of the counter forward of the bench is a box with a vent and the AC controls so I assume it's mounted in this vicinity or in the cabinet on the galley side of that counter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mikesparker
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby mikesparker » November 2nd, 2021, 3:00 pm

Ah...that makes sense. The vent under the bench is passive ventilation for the mid-berth.

The area where the 'box' top vent with controls is located would be directly over the clothes locker in the mid-berth, so it certainly looks like an AC unit is mounted in the top of that mid-berth locker and is a direct output to the salon.

Hmmm. There is an existing raw water intake for the head mid-ships in that vicinity...I'll need to do some investigation to uncover access to route to it...while the discharge would be somewhat easier...to the rear of the refer to port along the hull and forward to the sink discharge.

That would take care of the salon and galley...then there's the important part...the forward V-berth. There's plenty of space for the unit itself in multiple locations in there...not sure about the raw water intake access, though. Drainage should be somewhat accessible as the shower is directly aft of the V-berth.

Electrical access is abundant, so no problem there (foreseeable, at least...lol.)

One of the units is a top-discharge, which should be ideal for the salon...the V-berth until is a side-discharge...again, should be perfect for the space.

Seems like this is a very do-able DIY over the winter...should be fun!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » November 3rd, 2021, 6:48 am

If you start the project, post your progress in case others are considering the same thing. Pics would be great.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » November 3rd, 2021, 3:03 pm

The way I look at this…doesn’t matter where they were installed at the factory. Look at where it is easy and convenient to install now. Look at space for the unit, running ductwork and location for water pick up through hull and water pump.
I used to have a boat that I wanted to install AC. Got my AC guy onboard and we discussed installation options and came up with a game plan that saved me a bunch of money over where the factory would have installed it.

mikesparker
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby mikesparker » November 3rd, 2021, 4:39 pm

I wanted to see where the factory chose to put the AC in case there's a good reason. The location of the OEM AC for the salon is in the mid-berth forward hanging locker on the port side. Looks like a great place, actually...I'd lose about 14" of vertical space if I put it in there, which isn't a huge issue since A) there's another hanging locker in there and B) we don't use that berth except for company.

I'll have to do some semi-destructive demolition to get the intake/discharge lines run, but the ducting is a non-issue since it will come directly off the unit, through the 'shelf' and into the salon...shouldn't need more than 6" to 8" of ducting if that. Should make it fairly efficient.

The V-berth is a different story. There's really nowhere to put it unless I fabricate an enclosure above a hanging locker on the starboard side aft bulkhead. Not sure where I'd get the intake from, however the head is directly abaft that bulkhead. Discharge would be simple as the shower discharge is right there as well.

This'll be a winter-long project and I'll be diligent with pics and updates.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » November 4th, 2021, 2:15 am

We all will be following your project. Good luck.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”