Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Proper location for propane tank

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
B.Henry
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1986 Carver 4207

Proper location for propane tank

Postby B.Henry » January 8th, 2022, 11:43 am

Hello,

I have a 1986 Carver 4207. I am wondering where the proper location would be for the 20 pound propane tank. The previous owner has it under the cabinet on the back deck but it doesn't look proper.

Any suggestions and photos would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brad

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Proper location for propane tank

Postby bud37 » January 8th, 2022, 12:02 pm

Here is a link to a good read on the subject.......

https://www.boatus.com/app/views/201812 ... a-boat.asp
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » January 8th, 2022, 12:17 pm

Outside the hull of the boat somewhere.

A 20lb tank is pretty big... what do you use it for? I usually carried around a few of the 1lb tanks for the grill, but they were either in the compartment below the grill (on the aft deck) or in the compartment on the bridge. If they leaked in either place, the fumes would end up overboard.

B.Henry
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby B.Henry » January 8th, 2022, 1:49 pm

I live aboard full time. The tank is connected to the stove/oven.

B.Henry
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby B.Henry » January 8th, 2022, 1:54 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Here is a link to a good read on the subject.......

https://www.boatus.com/app/views/201812 ... a-boat.asp

Thanks bud37, That is a good read.

United States of America
esailor
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 4207 1990

Postby esailor » January 16th, 2022, 10:58 am

Hello Brad,
We have the 1990 4207. I have been looking for some time to upgrade the original electric appliances to LPG. I have not found an ideal space to build a locker or install an aftermarket locker and meet the ABYC installation requirements. Especially when you want to keep the standard 20lb tank which makes it easy to use the "tank exchange" vendors who are everywhere. The back deck on the 4207 creates challenges in providing direct access to the outside as most 4207s have a top and full enclosure. The LPG "space" should also open from the top via a gasketed cover. Would love to know if you have found a solution! A locker mounted outside the transom or attached to the deck half wall (outside) is one solution I am leaning towards. That leaves the dilemma of how to get the gas pipe forward through the aft cabin and keep it "accessible", another requirement.
I am also considering a smaller tank, perhaps horizontal that could go under the bridge "dome" over the front windows. The gas supply and locker drain could work down through the top deck and in the back of the galley cabinets to get to the space between the sink backsplash and outside hull, which could supply the gas to the galley equipment and provide a through hull for the locker drain. The bridge "dome" would have to have a hatch added to the top to allow top opening direct to the outside.

Thanks!
Ed

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » January 16th, 2022, 3:46 pm

gastankbun.jpg

Here's the gas-bun on our 1992 26.

What matters here;
- no connectors inaccesible, hard pipes through walls (with grommets to keep distance and lots of mounting points so it will not ever move, chafe, crack or bend) only the last bit can be a flexible hose to the stove. And in the (ventilated, easily accessible for shutting it off) bun to the gastank of course. And for those there are stainless steel versions too that need less often replacement over the years.

Of course you have your own rules and regulations to adhere to over there in the US or CA. I just want to warn you not to take LPG/propane/butane lightly. Campers, caravans use it all a lot but those are not build as buckets that hold it inside.

you need to have easy access to the tank itself to shut off supply when not cooking or heating. Because gas sinks to the floor and builds up, plenty of explosions happen each season.

There are electric shut off valves and you can use them to make it easy to get cooking: flip a switch, start cooking, finish and flip it to 'off'. In fact, a little bit of imagination and some hardware and you can make it smarter so that it shuts itself off after x time of no demand for gas.

However, always shut it off by hand completely overnight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”