Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Raritan water heater connections

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
hlfm
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1980 Santa Cruz ‘28

Raritan water heater connections

Postby hlfm » April 15th, 2022, 1:33 pm

I just replaced the original hot water tank in our Santa Cruz 2866 with new 6 gallon Raritan with heat exchanger and connected hoses from engine the same way they were on the old one
image.jpg
where it says engine heating in old diagram, the top hose connection went to the front of the engine, the bottom went to the top of the engine.
The new heater has much more separate ports, and I assumed the hose coming from the front of the engine would be the supply and the return would be going to the top of the engine. But after running engine, the lower heat exchange hose heats up before the upper, which makes me think I am wrong. The supply should go to the upper port on the tank says the instructions, and if so does it make a big enough difference for me to gush coolant out again and switch them?
DE8BF5B5-4E2A-4151-BE75-4BAF477631A1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Raritan water heater connections

Postby km1125 » April 15th, 2022, 2:00 pm

I doubt the direction makes any difference in that application. It's just a heat exchanger sitting inside the tank.

If it was the other kind of heat exchanger, where it's basically one tube inside another tube, then direction would matter as you want to keep the temperature delta between the two flowing liquids as high as you can across the whole length. In your application, the whole heat exchanger is sitting inside the tank and there's no appreciable temperature difference from top to bottom.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”