Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Ac circulation pump

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
Ayesore
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver Motego 3257.

Ac circulation pump

Postby Ayesore » April 19th, 2022, 7:10 pm

Hi. I new to this forum. I have a 1988 Carver Montego 3257. My sea water circulation pump for my air conditioner burnt up last season. There is absolutely no data saying the gpm,, model or serial #. Anybody have any ideas on how I can get a replacement? Thank you.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Ac circulation pump

Postby km1125 » April 20th, 2022, 8:01 am

They are pretty generic and the sizing really just depends on how many units they feed and what size they are. If you have a single 12K BTU unit, you could go with anything above 250 GPH, if you're running three units you'd need at least 500GPH and three large units you could use 1000GPH

Are you sure the unit is no good? Did you clean the impeller section and make sure the impeller spins freely?

Topic author United States of America
Ayesore
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver Motego 3257.

Postby Ayesore » April 27th, 2022, 9:30 am

Thanks for responding. Yes I did check the impeller. I plugged the pump into a 120v outlet and nothing happens. I'm not sure the btu of the only ac unit.( still in winter storage). Thank you for the input.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 27th, 2022, 11:54 am

You're in a northern climate too, so the pump doesn't have to flow as much as if you were in the Gulf. With a single AC unit, any pump 250-300GPH would be fine. You might want to verify the hose sizes (so the new one matches) just to make the swap-out more convenient.

United States of America
JohnS
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2003 350 Mariner

Postby JohnS » June 25th, 2022, 9:21 am

I just installed a March 510 GPH pump last weekend to run both ac units. Works much quieter and no issues so far.

My ac units:
1 - 16000 btu Marinaire
2 - 9000 btu Marinaire
they both were on this weekend here in DFW, temp was about 102 and inside the boat was 71 during the day and got to 68 at night with both units running.
Last edited by JohnS on June 26th, 2022, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 25th, 2022, 12:15 pm

Let me start by saying I am no Air /heat expert but I do understand pumps and cooling system flow dynamics a bit to be dangerous.... :-D

FYI.....just to get on the same page....the cooling water pump specs are generally, unless otherwise stated, the flow in GPH at the pump outlet that is open to atmosphere. (The same applies for bilge pumps by the way). If the air/heat unit requires lets say 300 GPH for proper operation then it means that minimum flow is at the unit itself not at the pump discharge/ the pump rating. There are considerable flow losses in different styles of tubing and fittings which need to be taken into consideration along with the ambient air temp and the average cooling water temp in your boating area along with the height the cooling water has to travel going thru a system.

I guess what I am saying is don't just size to the spec or minimum because your circumstances can change each day as your boat moves around.

JohnS....I am not commenting on your install choice, thanks for posting your solution with the boat model, I just want it to be clear to all about all the factors and why sometimes the pump specs seem overly large but after a specific boat model fitting they may be found to be just enough....hope some of this helps as this is a fairly complicated topic even for the original designers.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”