Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

What is it?

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: What is it?

Postby Viper » June 29th, 2022, 7:09 am

Tom, you are correct in that the unit will do its job no matter what position it's in but in our area, if it's not upright to allow for complete draining during winterizing, it won't make it through the winter. In a horizontal position, there's also no guaranty that antifreeze or air will displace all the water in the tank.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » June 29th, 2022, 7:34 am

Here is an excellent video explaining what an accumulator does.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 29th, 2022, 9:27 am

My unsolicited advice.... :-D .... would be to remove that from the boat, then and if it comes that you need one, get one of the small marine ones. That will remove all doubt and wonder as to what is the state and safety of that thing......good luck folks.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
Grafunkus
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1982 33' Carver Mariner
1985 3607 Carver Aft Cabin

Postby Grafunkus » June 29th, 2022, 3:17 pm

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post Here is an excellent video explaining what an accumulator does.

Thanks for the video.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » June 29th, 2022, 4:42 pm

Looks like this is your unit. http://www.seaflo.com/en-us/product/detail/3196.html

It is a marine unit by the way and the bladder pressure needs to be rechecked at least every year for proper pressure. Just like the tires on your car, rubber is not air tight and does allow air to pass decreasing the pressure with time eventually rendering the unit useless if the pressure is not topped off regularly. Best time would be pre-launch every season. Your unit is most likely 8 litres which is at least 5 times the little plastic ones which all seem to be around 0.75L

Here is a link to a few at Defender. https://www.defender.com/search.html?q=accumulator
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 29th, 2022, 8:54 pm

I could be wrong but I don't think it's a Seaflo. It's a common design used by several manufacturers though. Personally I'm not crazy about the tiny tanks, I suppose they're okay for minimizing pulsing and using a single faucet but open a couple at the same time and suddenly the advantage of minimizing pump operation is out the window.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”